feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msamsonz28

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish won't touch formula one frozen cubes. It seems like it is just gelatin when i defrost it. There is nothing solid in it at all. Is this normal? I have had success feeding with frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. The fish are ravenous over it. I'm sure more variety would be better though, and I've been thinking of making my own blender mush. I've been thinking about making a sea food dinner for my fiancee so now would be an opportune time. Since I have almost of a full tray of the shrimp and worms left between the two, do you all think I should chop that up and add it into the mix? Also, how often should I put sea weed strips in for my tang? I have been doing it every other day when I feed frozen. Should I put it in every day instead?

Neitehr the blood worms or brine will meet the nutritiional neeeds of the fish. Making a blender mush will be much better. You can thaw, rinse and add the cubes if you want. The addition of some garlic solution, selcon and vita-chem would also be beneficial. An algae product like Spirulina is good too.
Also, how often should I put sea weed strips in for my tang? I have been doing it every other day when I feed frozen. Should I put it in every day instead?
Daily would be ideal.

msamsonz28 said:
I'm sure more variety would be better though,

You are right variety is the key. Your suggestion about blender mush is a very good one. I know many people that do this with good results. As Brian said it would be a very good idea to add some garlic and selcon and vitamins to your mush. As far as the tang I feed my tank every other day and put seaweed selects in on the off days but it could be every day also as Tangs need foraging on greens frequently.

I only use the gel based foods to feed my bottom dwellers, since it only sinks to the bottom. I agree with the above advice.

You'd have to search but there are in fact some flake foods which are very good. I use one and my fish survive great (except when they jump tank or are eaten by a mantis)!

I can share the brand I use if you like.

Back
Top Bottom