filtering, and stocking for a 20gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neoginn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently cycling my 20gallon saltwater aquarium with live rocks, and i am only 3 days in. but i am wondering:
1. if i should hook up my aqua clear power filter.
2. can i put yellow tail damsel in the tank after the cycle or even a clown fish.
3. should i put in the "cleaning crew" (snails, crabs, stars, etc) before i put in the fish i want?

img_711472_0_4a7152a290bb4bc22c567d301453c326.jpg

i wouldnt put the aquaclear on just yet, unless you take out all the media, and thats for added flow. jmo.

yes, you can have a damsel or a clown fish after your cycle. imo, id go for the clown, most ppl end up not wanting the damels in the long run, then try to gett hem out and its a pain.

you can add a small clean up crew after the cycle, before the fish, see how they are doing, then add more accordingly. test your water, and add a fish about a week later.

Props for not cycling with live animals!!!!

1. If your filter has the boiballs or ceramic (can't remember what they are called), I would run the filter,, so the beneficial bacteria can begin to cultivate. If you are running carbon, I don't think it would really matter, if you removed it or not.
2. I definitely agree with vsnsofadrgn about the yellowtail damsel. Go with the clown. I have two yellowtails, they don't seem to be very agressive, at least by damsel standards, BUT, that is in my tank and could be different in yours.
3. I agree again, start small. Maybe about 24 snails and a few hermits (remember to get some bigger shells for the hermits to move into, as they grow). I like nassirius and cerith snails.

thanks for advice, when the time comes... in about a 3-6 weeks depending when my ammonia and nitrates go down, i will probably revisit some of these questions.

some wierd worm like thing attachted to my live rock died today. i do not know what it is. plus there is some wierd brown looking "gunk" that is on my live rock. is that stuff algae?

You will probably have a few critters die, due to the toxic levels of ammonia and nitrIte, there is not much you can do about it. Can you get a closer pic of the "gunk"? More than likely it is algae. If that LR is fully cured, you may have a shorter cycle.

ok as requested this is the picture of the "gunk". this is the only piece of live rock that i bought and it cost me 26 beans.
img_712098_0_35b7c7d61e58e977763488345d37b160.jpg

Back
Top Bottom