Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
Off subject a little, but a background would help hide the cords and also bring out the colors of the rock and fishes when you get them.
Yep, definitely gonna get a background but wanted to get the essentials first

Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

It means that a smaller amount of bad stuff will pollute the water more easily, because there isn't as much space for it to be diluted. Also, the inside of rock is where denitrification takes place, and if no water gets there, nitrates will most likely he high. I would get like 10 pounds of live rock plus what you have. It'll look really good and be great filtration.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

Well what does it mean? Lol and maybe I'll go get a piece of regular live rock
It means that "reef ready" rock is better to use as a portion of the rock in larger tanks. But, just like with normal live rock, some are better than others. It's a man made rock and there are lots of ways to make it. Some people make it very porous and light with lots of internal holes (usually using salt to achieve this) and it filters well and is much lighter than the stuff that's just molded as solid concrete and sand. If you bought this kind of reef ready rock it's going to do a lot to filter your tank. But real live rock comes from the ocean and usually has lots of the best bacteria and tiny live organisms that add to the diversity of life in your tank. These living things help consume fish waste, and some of the organisms become food that fish can feed on. If you get another piece of real live rock the life on it will eventually move to the rock you already have and make it better. Try googling "benefits of live rock in a saltwater tank" to get some knowledge about it. It's interesting stuff!

EDIT: I didn't see crister's post when I made mine. He's 100% right on the money.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

It means that "reef ready" rock is better to use as a portion of the rock in larger tanks. But, just like with normal live rock, some are better than others. It's a man made rock and there are lots of ways to make it. Some people make it very porous and light with lots of internal holes (usually using salt to achieve this) and it filters well and is much lighter than the stuff that's just molded as solid concrete and sand. If you bought this kind of reef ready rock it's going to do a lot to filter your tank. But real live rock comes from the ocean and usually has lots of the best bacteria and tiny live organisms that add to the diversity of life in your tank. These living things help consume fish waste, and some of the organisms become food that fish can feed on. If you get another piece of real live rock the life on it will eventually move to the rock you already have and make it better. Try googling "benefits of live rock in a saltwater tank" to get some knowledge about it. It's interesting stuff!
Okay awesome, I just got 5lbs of regular live rock, gonna put em in and see how it looks. Pictures coming soon!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Okay awesome, I just got 5lbs of regular live rock, gonna put em in and see how it looks. Pictures coming soon!
Make sure its cured
Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Make sure its cured
Its cured

A girl at the LFS said I could use the same test bottles from my freshwater kit for saltwater. Is that true??
Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Its cured

A girl at the LFS said I could use the same test bottles from my freshwater kit for saltwater. Is that true??
If the box on the kit says it's for freshwater and saltwater use you should be okay. Some kits really are for both.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its an API master freshwater test kit... but it doesn't say anything about SW on the box, can I still use it or no?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

API works for both sw and fw. The colors are a little different for the results but basically the same. Green still means ammonia, though it will be a little cloudy due to the saltwater. Nitrites are purple and nitrates are red or orange.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
API works for both sw and fw. The colors are a little different for the results but basically the same. Green still means ammonia, though it will be a little cloudy due to the saltwater. Nitrites are purple and nitrates are red or orange.
Okay the only concern I have is that when I tested for HR pH.. the result was red and there isn't any red on the card lol is that bad??

Tags
fowlr, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com