fowlr tank soon to be in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benamayer said:
Test the water this morning? Maybe put up another pic?

Unfortunately I can't test until later tonight.. have work all week from 7:30-7 :/ I'll test when I get home n post another pic

Good luck! You are cleaning out the test tubes with RO after the tests right? You don't want to be getting any false readings...

Benamayer said:
Good luck! You are cleaning out the test tubes with RO after the tests right? You don't want to be getting any false readings...

Guess I'm doing it wrong.. see being a newbie to saltwater I don't think of these things :( I've just been rinsing them out with tap water and then letting them dry overnight then reusing. Should I be using like a tune cleaner everytime??

Well definitely don't use tap water to rinse them. I just rinse em out once or twice with RO and also put the top on too so you can shake em up and make sure you get everything off the inside of the cap as well as the bottle. I usually fill my hydrometer, get a reading, and then pour the water from the hydrometer into the test tubes. This way you aren't introducing any chemicals into the tank by dipping the tubes in to fill em...

DanS180 said:
Guess I'm doing it wrong.. see being a newbie to saltwater I don't think of these things :( I've just been rinsing them out with tap water and then letting them dry overnight then reusing. Should I be using like a tune cleaner everytime??

And I'm a newbie too... Just a good rule of thumb is to never use tap water for anything :cool:

Benamayer said:
And I'm a newbie too... Just a good rule of thumb is to never use tap water for anything :cool:

Yeah I guess you're right.. dummy me lol guess I'll go home, rinse em out with straight RO and retest and see what happens

Okay just got home, rinsed out my test tubes with straight unmixed RO water.. and here are my results. If my results werent 0 across the board last night, then they definitely are tonight... its as if my cycle hasnt even started yet :(

Attachments

• Results 1.jpg
    Results 1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 75
Can you recap real quick what's in ur tank... Live rock, live sand, etc? Have you done any water changes?

2 pieces of Live Rock, 3 pieces of "Reef Ready" Live Rock(purple ones), live sand, and thats it. I havent done ANY water changes whatsoever, only topped off the tank once with straight RO water. When i first started the cycle, i had 1 piece of shrimp in there, that almost completely dissolved on its own, after that i put 2 more pieces in, took em out when they were almost completely dissolved.

I've read to turn up the heat to try and speed up the cycle process so my temp is at 84deg.

Raw shrimp right?? I dunno man... Maybe go try getting a hermit crab and seeing how it does?

I guess I could do that, but why would it all of a sudden be wrong?? Kit doesnt expire until 2017.

Wouldnt the LFS test with a strip? and isnt a strip inaccurate anyways???

Probably depends on the LFS. My guy uses the better kits, and doesn't use strips. Even places like Petco do free water tests. Id say at this point what harm would it do to get a second test kit on it...

And also not to sound dumb here, but did you follow the instructions on the test? I know your results will be different if you don't actually do the correct steps, like shaking the tube after you add solution 1, and shaking the bottle of # 2 before you add it? And then having to wait a few minutes..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom