Green algae taking over!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know people that do ten percent every other day. So I would think it should be ok as long as it doesn't mess up your bacteria. Check your nitrates also. Alot of the time algae consumes phosphate fast so it doesn't show up at the right levels. Phosphates develop slower than nitrates. but defiantly do a major water change then do ten percent every 3 days.

Madcrazyroyboy said:
I know people that do ten percent every other day. So I would think it should be ok as long as it doesn't mess up your bacteria. Check your nitrates also. Alot of the time algae consumes phosphate fast so it doesn't show up at the right levels. Phosphates develop slower than nitrates. but defiantly do a major water change then do ten percent every 3 days.

Bacteria and water changes have nothing to do with one another. You can do water changes as often as you like as long as temp and ph match.

.25-1ppm is a fairly high amount of phosphates, def test your nitrates as well but i would figure out where all these excess nutrients are coming from.

I know algae uses light to grow, but what I'm saying is that without nutrients, it won't grow. You could do 2 water changes a day as long as everything matches.

Your nitrates and phos are probably high. The more water changes the lower the nutrients you gotta starve the algae and it will die off. I dot know if it's bad to do alot of water changes at one time if you have delicate corals.

I'm thinking it's the phosphates too! But is 1 really that high considering the chart goes to
10?? Just wondering...

Good enough answer for me Sniper- GFO is going in tomorrow, 10% PWC'S every other or third day, I'll hopefully get it knocked out! Any other pro-tips guy??

A lawnmower blenny was the tipping point for my tank. It was really bad with hair algae outbreak. Now that it is gone, I have minor issues with brown snot algae...yeah, real technical at this point...but it is all fueled by phosphates and nitrates in the end.

I run GFO/activated carbon in my dual reactor, run RO/DI through my 5 stage unit, have a fuge. Prepare yourself for a long war.

Benamayer said:
I meant the lawn mower blenny...

Adding a fish right now would only contribute to the problem. Get the nitrates, phosphates and algae under control and stable before adding anything.

As for the 1ppm phosphates, yes that is high. Phosphate should never be above .02 ppm or unreadable on most test kits. Elevated levels of phosphate prohibit coral skeletal structure from forming, thus stunting growth, also leading to severe algae problems.

In a reef tank phosphate and nitrates need be 0 or very close. Stray outside this and algae forms, corals loose color and growth slows or stops.

Get the GFO running, keep up on your PWC's and figure out where your phosphates are coming from. GFO will help but it will not do the hard work for you.

Phosphates develop slower than nitrates in the tank so your nitrates are probably high also. Water changes are key

Back
Top Bottom