Health concerns when dealing with SW and testing chemicals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I try to be as careful as I can when testing water, but inevitably trace amounts of chemicals will get on my fingers and rags/towels used to wipe up water.

I wash my hands when I'm done, but there's still saltwater on the towels. They will be thrown in the washer.

Also I use a gallon pitcher for now to do water changes. It will be washed before use, but I'm sure it'll be used sometime for making something.. like iced tea.

So basically,

Are there health concerns for dealing with the salt used to make the salt water?

What about trace amounts of the chemicals?

What about getting these things on towels and pitchers?

Do you practice any specific things to keep these substances separated from household items (like towels and pitchers haha)? Or do you use any methods that make things cleaner and less messy?

Interested in reading replies. I don't want to die from drinking from a perhaps poorly washed salty pitcher, or sucking on my thumb!

I would keep any aquarium equipment as aquarium use only.

You can wear latex/nitrile gloves to protect your skin from the chemicals. I don't worry about it though, but that doesn't mean I won't get cancer eventually.

As long as it isn't Brightwell Aquatics' salt it shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom