How do I lower calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
sorry dont wanna steal anyone's thread, but how do you go about lowering calcium?

just checked my calcium level and my level is 520 .. im not getting an purple on my LR. im using seachem -reef salt, but im using tap water with water softner and dosing prime conditioner

What is your alk? If it is not high as well, raising it should bring down your calcium and provide a better balance...in theory without knowing numbers or what/if you dose chemicals.

sorry i dont have a alk tester. might have to go get one of those as well. ill worry about this later as im dealing with a sick tank of the moment. i bought a QT and all the necessary needs but when i got home i was too late and my yellow tang died this evening.

Depends on what your tap consists of. Rodi is the safe haven, but I have no problems with tap depending on the constituents, which can be harmful and/or just a nuisance.

well i live in an area where water is really hard, and i had to purchase a water softner for me and my wife. (shower, washing hands etc) but my LFS said that my water softner can be the reason for my fishes death and calcium level not being in the right reading.

he claimed that water softner might have extra sodium additives. please advise. thanks

Perhaps and perhaps not. Rodi companies typically recommend a water softener stage before the rodi stage so your membranes do not work as hard. The two options for salt are Sodium Chloride or Potassium Chloride.

Edit** Not discounting you melosu, just looked that way from posting behind you lol.

R/o filters can be had on ebay for around 100 - 150 dollars.

...but my LFS said that my water softner can be the reason for my fishes death and calcium level not being in the right reading.

he claimed that water softner might have extra sodium additives. please advise. thanks

I've also heard that you don't want to use a water softener for aquarium water, but have never dug into the reason why. I'm guessing it has to do with a buildup of salts that are not balanced like seawater. But I've never heard of it messing with calcium levels.

Agree with what cCccccapt said earlier... your salt is known for high calcium - even using RO/DI water - so if you're not wanting that high of a level then the only thing you can do is switch salts. (Or mix to a lower salinity, but I don't think you want to do that! :) )

ok ill go back to instant ocean or coralife marine salt. iv had real success with those 2 in the past

Back
Top Bottom