If you notice my return has plenty of micro bubbles in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was mentioned earlier but I'd like to say it again. You shouldn't put a ball valve directly inline with the return pump. That will shorten the life of the pump. Instead put a t branching off of the return and a ball valve after the t that way the return pump is allowed to always be wide open and you can blow off the excess water back into the sump. Much less stressful for the pump.
I

Oh I get what you're saying! So would you put the valve on the return to the tank or the t bal to sump. I'm guessing probably the line back to the sump! Right?

I

I just meant put a ball valve on the return line a couple feet from the pump. And slow the rerun flow down. But like I said if you slow it down too much it will shorten the life of your pump. Puts more stress on the motor.

You want your pump completely underwater. From the pics it looks like it drawing air because the top is exposed.

This is true thanks i will do this! Im glad you noticed because thats exactly what is happening. A few observations that i noticed and not quite sure why. Maybe they ring a bell to you or anyone else. When i turn off my system i am left with roughly 4 inches of room in my sump. When i turn it back on with my pump submerged from all the water, it sounds and works great! So i know that the pump needs to be submerged. When the flow goes back to normal it begins to gasp because of the lack of water. I have added water to the return compartment of the sump and my dump area of the overlfow rises. I give it time and it settles a bit but pretty much the dump is to the tippy top. To me... It seems like the water is not draining quick enough? But then again it seems like its returning to quickly? Fun fun fun lol
Hence the ball valve. Btw should i add enough water so that when i turn off my system i fill my sump to about and inch from the top? Thanks!

It was mentioned earlier but I'd like to say it again. You shouldn't put a ball valve directly inline with the return pump. That will shorten the life of the pump. Instead put a t branching off of the return and a ball valve after the t that way the return pump is allowed to always be wide open and you can blow off the excess water back into the sump. Much less stressful for the pump.

Understood i think. Lol

With my return off my sumo is about 2-3 inches from overfilling. Since I cannot gain any water I know I'm good. I also have a tiny leaks in my overflow so i will be adding a ball valve on the drain so I can stop all water movement.

With my return off my sumo is about 2-3 inches from overfilling. Since I cannot gain any water I know I'm good. I also have a tiny leaks in my overflow so i will be adding a ball valve on the drain so I can stop all water movement.

Yeah the same here give or take. Is flex seal safe? Stupid question but had to ask... Btw anyone have a picture i can use a template for this ball valve t pipe?

I have no idea. What are you trying to seal?

I have a Chinese water torture drip coming from my return. Its not huge but it bothers me... Lol
A rag i left there for over 48hrs was barely damp. And that was one side of the rag. So im sure its not a big deal and could prob be fixed with the ball valve

Don't bother with a ball valve on the return. Why people are suggesting that is unclear to me, but you need to fill that last return section up so the pump is submerged. It will not overflow the main tank. Restricting the flow is not going to do anything, except slow the flow to your sump. The levels will not change.

Don't bother with a ball valve on the return. Why people are suggesting that is unclear to me, but you need to fill that last return section up so the pump is submerged. It will not overflow the main tank. Restricting the flow is not going to do anything, except slow the flow to your sump. The levels will not change.

Yeah the water is going through the sump, bio ball, refugium and sponge back to the return pump. The flow is moving too slow through the sump to keep the pump submerged fully. He says he filled with water and the back chamber fills up in the sump. So if you restrict your return water it will give the front chamber time to fill up instead of staying half full.

This sounds like either the drain from the overflow has a problem or the return pump is just to large. Yu need to use the largest drain tube from the overflow to the sump that the bulkhead can handle. If it's a 1" bulkhead for the drain line you want to have 1" tubing to drain into the sump and it should be as unobstructed as possible.

If the drain is setup properly then the return pump may just be to large. That could overwhelm your overflow. That's why people are recommending you divert some of the return flow back into the sump.

The leak is a serious issue. Don't try to fix it with flex seal or anything else. Just replace the bulkhead or if the system is new call the manufacturer and ask for a replacement if slight hand tightening doesn't stop the leak. If the bulkhead is threaded you may have just forgot to use Teflon tape at the connection. If it's a slip fitting you need to use aquarium safe PVC sealant to connect the pipe.

I would kill both pumps (return and skimmer) fill sump to a few inches below the brim, and turn both pumps back on. Mark the level in the return chamber. That would be the working water level. As long as the pump is submerged go with it. Top off as necessary and be done with micro bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom