Is there anything i can do to lower my ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SH4N

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had my salt water tank set up for about 2 months now, i have about 5 kgs of live rock and a very small peice of coral, ive been getting my water checked by the lfs and has been good. 2 days ago my amonia was low, and now today it was high, is there anything i can do to lower it? i was told to do a water change, i did a small one and now my 2 clown fish have been acting weird (swimming odd, going up and down the tank, swimming very fast for a few seconds) im really worried >.>

It definitely sounds like your tank is not cycled. A properly cycled tank will have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. First thing you need to do is stop relying on your lfs to test your water. Go out and get your own API test kits, they are a necessity to be successful maintaining your tank. You will also need a refractometer (preferred) or a hydrometer to test the salt levels in your tank.

How did you do the water change? Did you pre mix the water before you put it in? I would read this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html
That will explain alot about what you need.

Ammonia is lethal. Do a 33% PWC to start with. The health of your fish depend on it.

i let my tank run for a month before adding fish, ive test the salinity, ph and nitrite and are perfect, i dont have any test for others but i will buy today. i really dont know much about sea water thats why im relying on my lfs. one of my fish isnt looking to flash.. hope his ok i need to work now.. ill buy a full water test today, how else can i get the amonia down? i cant even check it now.

thanks

You need to do a partial water change of 30% with salt mix that was mixed in a bucket, and left at elast overnight with a heater and a smal powerhead. That will insure proper mixing and stability of the new water. It needs to be mixed to a SG of 1.023 - 1.025 (preferably using a refractometer for checking).

You should also do some reading on this site in our articles section as well as the forums to better understand what is needed to care for a marine aquarium.

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine article

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Alrite guys. bought a test kit, everything is fine now. fish are swimming.

Thanks for all your help, I've read the cycle your salt tank article and it was very useful, my lfs didnt tell me anything that was there, i was relying on him to much, i will read through the articles now so i have a better understanding

thanks so much for all replies and advice

Does that mean you have no ammonia or nitrite in the tank?
What did you do to reduce it?

Good luck with the tank. Keep reading the forums and post questions as they come up, especially before spending any money at the lfs.

as i said i did a small water change yesterday, other then that nothing as i dont know what to do >.>
the tests i did today was
amonia = 0 ppm (<< yesterday the lfs showed as 0.50)
nitrite = 0 ppm
nitrate = 0-5.0ppm
ph = 8.0 < I currently have ph tablets to control this >.> just working slowly.
salinity is fine

(ps did i write that right?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom