Juvenile dragon wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeithFrancis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I've not seen him for over 3 days
With the light on, or off.
I'm afraid of the worst...now my question is, 1: do I tear down rock work looking for his body?
2: if I don't find the body, will that drastically effect water quality? Will snails, crabs etc find it and scour over the area?

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't dismantle the live rock to find it. If he did pass away the cleaning crew usually cleans it up before it can affect water quality. I've had fish disappear over the years and I test the water for a week after I notice the fish missing and I've never had a spike. I would imagine the only way it would is if the tank is small.

Thanks Tang, I've got 125 gallon so I think it will be fine..in going to do a PWC and a more through look!
Thanks for your input

Dragon wrasses belong to a group of sand-diving wrasses, and are prone to bury for long periods in an aquarium - particularly when stressed. I wouldn't give up on her yet, as she most likely is buried in the sand (or at least hiding out under the live rock if you don't have enough sand for her to bury in). I certainly wouldn't go tearing the tank apart looking for her, as this would only stress her out more.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Well after my pwc I noticed a rock out of place on my sand bed..lifted rock only to find what I was worried about:(
I think she buried herself and a piece of LR fell on her.
The clean up crew had started decomposing and there was only half her body left

Thanks again guys

Ps I hate loosing fish!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom