Lighting for 90Gallon FO tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would appreciate some advice with regards to the proper lighting for my 90gallon FO tank. My tank is an All-Glass, and came with a hood that has room for only 2 fluorescent lights. I have one standard fluorescent light and one actinic light in it. Can someone tell me how many watts I need per gallon? I read I might need 3 to 5 watts per gallon. If so, I'm not even close with what I have. Should I also invest in an electronic ballast? :roll:

If it really is a FO tank, you're OK with what you have, subject to simply how you think it looks. With proper water chemistry, you're probably OK with what you have for a FOWLR. Upgrade needed for reef though. Be advised, lights can be the most costly item if you're comtemplating reef.

If you are considering a reef, I would go MH, or at the very least VHO. If you are keeping a simple FOWLR, then it would be whatever is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. OneBowl is right. Lighting is expensive, and one of the most important investments you will make in this hobby.

Mike

a fish only tank (no live rock, no corals, no fancy inverts) will be just fine with your current lighting.
if it seems dim for fish viewing, you might swap the actinic for another daylight, or a single 50/50 bulb.
A little more light would make coraline algae grow a little faster, if you had live rock...but the current lighting would support coraline.

You only need to worry about 3-5 watts per gallon if you plan to add corals, or something like a clam or anemone.

I had great coraline growth with a 50/50 NO, and a blue moon NO. Nothing really special for coraline growth. You can also add calcium to enhance the growth as well.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom