Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pph_2ppr
what do you mean by it will be the former?
my shoulder or aquarium. i think im gonna have fun doing my pwc, its already pretty difficult to type but do many of u have any knowledge of a cleaner shrimp in a nano?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

OUCH! Sorry to hear about yor shoulder. It's tough to do much one-handed in this hobby. Hope you can get some help with your PWCs.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea i no im mixing the water now, but not quite sure how im going to switch it.....could get interesting, I hope to add a cleaner shrimp this weekend still, should not be a big deal? what do they like to be fed?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

The shrimp will eat pretty much anything you feed your tank. They will pick parasites off other fish and eat whatever is left over from tank feedings.

Drip acclimate for an hour or longer. Inverts are very sensitive to changes in SG.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Activist

Once acclimated to the aquarium are they relatively hardy? It should not have any problems with damsels harrassing it correct? Would a clown or yellow watchman goby get along with the shrimp better? Any tips on catching 2 damsels??
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh catching 2 damsels not something for some one with a shoulder injury However I would say lights out let them get comfy and try to net them Other wise it may be a tear down
As for the shrimp they are fairly hardy ... And will munch on what ever they can ... As for the partial water changes try to get some tubing that will fit a power head (404- 606 mini jets take I believe 1/2 OD ) take and drop it into your tank plug in and drain what ever you change out , and then take your your pump and drop in to the fresh water and pump back in to your tank what ever you took out . You may need to do smaller removals so that you are limmiting your weight lifting use perhaps a one gallon jug and when you siphion back in your fresh made h20 you may need to lift it up a bit to get it to max head then let it do the work for you ... I do mine that way and it makes a world of diffrence on trying to get them done in about 10 minutes , I did it this way after the surgery I had yes I needed lift assist to empty or to raise the jugs but I was able to control having a sand storm and just got it in with out much issue
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm tempted to add crushed coral on my sand because it is always drifting with the flow, drives me crazy, but I have heard bad storied about crushed coral. Won't these problems be avoided since the hermits and shrimp can clean it up pretty nice, I then can siphon what they miss with water changes. Any pros and cons to this idea?

do NOT need sergury (thank God), just have to take a long period of recovery
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMHHO I would say the risk outweighs the benifit .While hermits may get some they will not get it all since it is a loose pack some will get where you and the hermits can not get to causing it to decay and add dramaticlly to your bioload.This will cause a rise in your Ammonia ,NitrIte,(Possibly) NitrAte are likely to increase , as will your phosphates inturn this can cause more algea and bacterial blooms such as cyano ... Both of which can be an absolute bear to gain control over once a foot hold is gotten . I say just keep up with the sand you will be more happy in the long run with it I think ..
Glad your shoulder doesnt need surgery Just remember to ask for help when you need it so that you dont stress it and further injure it or end up in the OR with more damage than you started with , it takes time (lots of it ) to heal a shoulder injury ....
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm pretty good at babying injuries, just dissapointed my career ended the way it did. BUT I have some salt mixed up and I'm going to remove some of the sand now. In the end I plan on leaving 1/2 to 1 inch. My ammonia is back up to about .25 after reaching 0 again. Does this constant up and down cycle mean the two damsels are creating too much of a bioload for this small aquarium? Since the hermits and feather dusters are still "thriving" would it be ok to add the shrimp still? I can take the fish back tomorrow possibly, but I would not be able to get another fish.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #50
AA Team Emeritus

Just take it easy on the Vicoden <g>.

I just went through your posts trying to determine:
Size of tank (10 gallon)?
Filtration (20# of LR) and what else?
How long the tank has been set up? (2 months?)
How was the tank cycled?
When did the cycle complete?
1/27/08 you dumped LR into the tank. How many pounds did you put in and was it fully cured?

Let's get the tank in shape and complete cycled before adding any additional livestock. Can you take the damsels back to the lfs for store credit?

I think you get the sand bed down to an inch. The problem is that the beneficial bacteria are in the top inch or so of sand. With one arm and nothing better to do, you could use a turkey baster to suck up sand from the bottom (just an idea).

You should take about a week to get the sand bed reduced, doing a section a day.

Then you should do a 20%-30% water change (get a family member, teammate, someome to come over and help). At this time I would pull the rock and capture the damsels, then complete the water change. You could also try other means of capturing the fish (search on the forums for ideas).

At this point you can work on getting the parameters stable, then you can add A (single) clownfish.

Does this sound like a workable plan to you?

Tags
acclimation, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com