live rock acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im thinking about going fishless for ahwile but the pellets would be good for the crabs as well as feeding the good bacteria, would this be a wise choice?

You could do that but you would still only use 4-10 pellets 1-2 times a week for the crabs as they are adding (Not much) to your bioload .If you over feed you will likely have another cycle or algea out break while your bio bacteria try to catch up.

amazing how hard it can be to keep everything in balance...not a dull moment. I want to add a small(3 gallon) rubbermaid refuge so i can get copeopods into the picture. Will hermits eat these?

amazing how hard it can be to keep everything in balance...not a dull moment. I want to add a small(3 gallon) rubbermaid refuge so i can get copeopods into the picture. Will hermits eat these?
Nope they eat algea (sometimes) and scavange for leftovers other than that the pods are safe and will respond to the ammounts of food available for them they will seemingly come and go in cycles but will still not benough for most fish that require pods to eat and survive if that is the motive for the fuge :D if it is for nutrient export have at it (y)

I want to try, I have seen some awesome refugiums but can i recreate something that diverse in 3 gallons of water?

How does a 3"-4" DSB sound? Adding a few 1/2 lb pieces of base rock(can they be seeded without touching live rock?) Then getting a small clip on lamp to keep some macros? Where do they sell lighting this small?

There are places that make those lights to fit just be sure to take good measurements .. I sent you a pm in reguards to that ...
Yes the bacteria will fall to the sand bed ... But 3"-4" sand bed is a bit to deep for a nano and if disturbed can reek havoc on your tank ...

If a DSB is disturbed how can it "reek havoc" on the tank? I have 3"+ in my main tank

It lets the nitrogens ,nitrAtes, ammonia , and NitrItes and other matters get stirred up thus needing to recolonize , I cant remember the particulars but remember this was something that was discussed on a couple other boards that they are difficult if disturbed in nanos ... and are therefore not recommended in one :)

oops, so would it be a good idea to try to remove some sand until I can switch to a larger system? Is a 29 large enough for a a dsb?

Not in my opinion . You could siphion it off with water changes and save it for a diffrent system, it would not remain cycled and would need reseeded :)

I plan on removing about 1/2 the sand the next time I do a water change. Is there anything I can do besides paying attention, to keep my tank more stable (no special secrets?) Is it considered too unstable for a porcelain crab or shrimp?

Just keep an eye on your perameters . Once all are at 0 Ammonia , NitrIte, and NitrAte under 20 ( this will go down with water changes) You can start to add a little at a time .Any time you add any thing you will go through a micro cycle till your biological bacteria can catch up ... When removing the sand just use a piece of tubing and siphion off the top inch , dont try and do it all at once a bit at a time you should be fine :) You can place your extra sand in your sump that you are doing :)

Coraline grows with proper ca and alk levels ... And tends to grow in darker areas , it can take several months for it to grow , and once it gets a foothold you will cuss that it is on the viewing panes of glass LOL . But it will grow for you , just give it time :)

So does this mean i need to get calcium and an alkalinity test kit? Because i have not done so. Would i need supplements of both to make sure that they are at the right level?

You should not need to add anything. Yes you will need test kits if you want to know where it is at . And if you have corals that are calcium users such as LPS you will need to know your levels :) and if you plan on dosing you will need to test . However
IF your levels show to be low just increase your H20 changes (not frequencey ) and that should raise it up . I just tested mine and it was a bit low 380 I keep mine at 420 after a H20 change it was up and fine no dosing needed .:) Most trace elements can be replenished via H20 changes ...I use to do 10% water changes now I have increased them to 15% -20% weekly and this keeps me where I need to be ... dosing is such a dangerous thing in a nano and can go wrong quickly . When I use to dose I did so via a syringe /drip method over a 8 hour period and tested in between and found that I was getting further by increasing my H20 changes from 10 % to 15%-20% weekly .

dislocated/broke the ball off my shoulder while wrestling at districts so at least now i have some free time to spend messing with the ole aquarium;) lots of pain

Back
Top Bottom