morning surprise, GIANT bristleworm! any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elude82 said:
That's right! The circle of life!!!! I do that with my aggressive tank! If a fish does in my community tank, it always ends up having its funeral in the mouth of my Huma! Lol

LOL! Love that!

Even though I'm late to this...I'd actually say this might be another confirmed fireworm for the AA forums. Thing is just a tad too big for bristle IMO...hard to tell the color from the pic though.

Hey sniperhank it's kinda weird how all of a sudden three fireworms show up. Never heard much about them and bam they are everywhere. They are a neat worm. :)

Yes they do. Very good cuc. I would take him if I were in your area. Definitely. I love worms. Fireworms only eat gorgonians. Nothing else alive. And my gorgonian is dying anyway because my trigger likes the taste of it apparently. Ik u can't ship. I want him! Lol. Just give him to the lfs.

He already went down the toilet. Sorry! LFS said they had no desire or need for it. It was reddish brown, so its a fireworm instead? I just can't get over the fact this monster has been in my tank hiding out! What else will show up? Just too creepy for my tastes.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Down the toilet?!?!!!!???! :( geez tough way to go.

Hope that does him in. Imagine somthing like that living in a sewer system?? How big do u think those things can get?

Packohotdogs said:
What the heck is that thing???? Is it a fire worm?

I think I'd shoot it and throw it in the fire place or something. That thing would freak me out and I would be scared it would crawl back up and attack the ol' balloon knot if I flushed it!!!

LMAO @ balloon knot!! XD

aa777rob said:
He already went down the toilet. Sorry! LFS said they had no desire or need for it. It was reddish brown, so its a fireworm instead? I just can't get over the fact this monster has been in my tank hiding out! What else will show up? Just too creepy for my tastes.

LOL! If you find another, you can always freeze it and then throw it away. It sounds inhuman but its not. I HATE BRISTLE WORMS! I've only found one in my tank. I don't like worms anyway but those things creep me out too!

Lights out and I just spotted a bristleworm. He was out about 2 inches. Tried to suck him up in a baster but he sucked up into the rock and laughed at me. I've got tweezers for the next attempt! I'd get an arrow crab but I hear they'll eat my snails and hermits. And my new skunk shrimp. My butterflies love the new skunk shrimp! They line up waiting to be cleaned. Here's a pic!

ForumRunner_20121104_231622.jpg

I will say this again, I'm sure. Probably many times in many threads. That is (was) a bristle worm. Most likely E complanata. This is the most common species of worm in home aquariums. It rarely gets that large because we don't feed enough. But in an overfed tank, they get big.
Now, to address the few "that's a fireworm" comments I saw. Feline is to cat as fireworm is to bristleworm. In other words... Same thing. Both are generic umbrella terms encompassing a number of species. Bristleworm = fireworm. And they are GOOD things to have.
Couple specific points.
Size is not a factor in determining whether this is a "Caribbean bearded fireworm" because the cbf is nowhere near the largest species, nor is its size in any way remarkable. "Common" bristle worms grow to a max size of 1" - 3' depending on species and availability of food.
Coral eating is what all bristle worms have been accused of at some point or another. It is also not something that many do. True, the cbf does eat gorgonians, but if it were a cbf and there were no gorgonians present, it would never have reached that size.
"Kill it!!!" Worst. Possible. Advice. These are the most beneficial organisms you can have! In a recent move, my tank got cold and most of my micro fauna died. Anyone in the Tacoma Washington area who has an excess of worms, pm me because I have very few alive and I need more.
In conclusion, next worm you see in your tank, don't panic. Thank it for keeping your tank healthy.

Great info......ill try to look at them differently. I know if 2 now that come out at night. Ill just let em be! Just no more foot long surprises! That still gives me the willies !

Pulled out a rock today, I found another giant worm in a rock. I could see the end of him, rock is quarantined and waiting for him to come out to feed.

Back
Top Bottom