Murky tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineEddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys

I siphoned out some algae off my rock 3 days ago and did a 25 litre pwc at the same time. Ever since the water has been murky. All the params are right, ph 8.2 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia 0. I am using RODI water. I don't know what to do!
Thanks in advance, Eddy

Attachments

• image-3847359408.jpg
    image-3847359408.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 96
That looks like a lot of algae. What are your phosphates? How much and how often do you feed?

My phosphate test kit ran out last week so I'm getting a new one within the next few days. It was high on my last test though. I feed a quarter a cube of brine or mysis a day.

That feeding schedule doesn't seem so bad....what size tank, and what type of fish do you have in there?

I have a 29 gallon tank with one Ocellaris clown, one Bangaii cardinal and one cleaner shrimp

Test your phosphates when you can. Also, after a good tank/rock cleaning and a large PWC, maybe feed the same amount everyother day. That's only 2 fish in there. The shrimp will eat what's leftover.

I have the internal Juwel filtration and a fluval u4. I change 20 litres most weeks (out of 110 litre tank) but at the moment am changing 60 at the moment to try and combat the problem.

MarineEddy said:
I have the internal Juwel filtration and a fluval u4. I change 20 litres most weeks (out of 110 litre tank) but at the moment am changing 60 at the moment to try and combat the problem.

How often do you clean the filters and change media?

I clean them roughly every 2 weeks and change the filter wool at the same time. I have not changed the other media since i started the tank ( roughly 6-7 months)

MarineEddy said:
I clean them roughly every 2 weeks and change the filter wool at the same time. I have not changed the other media since i started the tank ( roughly 6-7 months)

Yeah thats almost certainly one of the sources if not the primary source of your algae problem. 6-7 months is about 5-6 months too long lol. Canisters require weekly maintenance and changing of media almost as often or atleast rinsed or they become nutrient traps and turn into nitrate factories. Nitrates and phosphtes being what causes algae.

Also some fresh carbon would probably clear your water up in no time.

Oh ok I will go and buy some new media tomorrow, thanks for all your help! :D

Back
Top Bottom