New FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few more pics to add. Got the tank filled and cycling.. Sump is all plumbed and running great just have to finish adding ATO.. ammonia was at 1ppm last night, cmon 5ppm!! My wife and I found ourselves sitting watching the tank the other night and there arent even any fish in there yet.. Its better than tv already..:popcorn:

Attachments

• newpics229.jpg
    newpics229.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 123
  • newpics231.jpg
    newpics231.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 118
  • newpics235.jpg
    newpics235.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 135
  • newpics260.jpg
    newpics260.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 155
A few more... 90 Lbs of Marco base rock and 20Lbs of live rock..

Attachments

• newpics263.jpg
    newpics263.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 138
  • newpics265.jpg
    newpics265.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 132
  • newpics271.jpg
    newpics271.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 179
  • newpics278.jpg
    newpics278.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 131
Thats a very nice tank. I use to stare at my empty tank too, dont feel so bad :)

Did your sump design changed from previous pictures, it looks different

Heck I stare at a tank without water dreaming of it lol but that is beautiful wood work, the tank is nice but that wood, [o_O"] brings that tank to a whole new level im jealous lol.

Yes we are extremely pleased with the stand and canopy. It was custom built for us and the gentleman does awesome work. He isnt cheap but neither is his work and its all real wood, no particle board or MDF..
Good eye Henry, the original sump broke trying to fit it into the cabinet so I cut all the baffles out , cut them shorter and put them into a 20Gal long tank..

Shane.

Everything looks great, If that wall is vertical, you might think about building it up from the front of the tank to the back. You will be glad later when you go reef, 3x the spaces for coral.

No plans to go reef Hinds, I like the fish but not really into all the corals, anemones etc.. Some of them are cool but I think they can be alot of work and alot of money also.. Ya never know I guess but I think I will be a FOWLR guy..

Another quick update, the cycle is coming along, ammonia was at 3ppm last night and nitrite was at .5 Got the ATO stuff installed into the sump and got the controller in too.. Still looking for a suitable container that will fit in/behind the stand for the top up water..

Shane.

Everyone says that at first :). You will already be reef ready...

This setup looks amazing with your aquascaping! Gonna look great with fish! You can always add coral later if you wanted, but this will stand out either way! Nice work!

Well the cycle is pretty much done I think, my ammonia is at 0ppm and nitrite was at .5 last night and nitrate was at 80 and is now down to 40.. I added some chaeto to my sump to help control the nitrates. Gonna add some pure ammonia over the next few days and make sure it goes away before adding any fish.. I will post some new pics tonight or tomorrow of everything running. I got the ATO all setup, found a small office garbage can that fit perfectly into the stand.. Got the chaeto in the sump sectioned off with some egg crate to stop it from getting into the return pump.. and got a clip on light from Lowes for $11 and put in a 100 watt(really 23W, 100 Watt equivalent) 6500K flourescent light bulb for it..Got that hooked up to the timer for my moonlights so its on overnight with the moonlights and the actinic and daylight tubes are on their own separate timers. Had to add two fans to the canopy, it was getting pretty warm in there when the actinics are on..

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments and the help...

Shane.

Ok, my 90 gal finally cycled and was able to get my porcupine puffer back from the LFS.. Param's are amm-0, Nitrite-0, nitrate-5ppm. I added som CUC, 5 turbo snails, 12 nassarius snails, 5 fighting conch's and 5 red leg hermits.. Planning the new fish to go in the tank, looking at 2 perc or occ clowns, flame angel, lawnmower blenny, and a royal gramma.. Any other suggestions??

Oh, tank is a 90 gal, 48'X18"X24", 20L sump, Skimz SM161 skimmer, about 80lbs base rock and 30Lbs live.. Corallife 48" t5ho-2 10000k,2 actinic 54w each.. Gonna order test kits for calcium, alk.. temp it 79 and sal is 1.025.

One other question, I brought sal up to 1.025. With the CUC does it need to be this high? Could I run it at 1.022 or .021 with inverts?

Shane.

Ok thats cool.. Does it matter for inverts?? I have some turbo snails, nassarius snails, hermits and fighting conchs. Do they care if its .021 or .025??

Thanks,
Shane.

I'm not sure about inverts but I think they may be similar to coral... coral prefer .024-.026 and fish prefer .021-.022... or at least for health they seem to do better at those salinity's (from what I have read, it could be wrong though)

Back
Top Bottom