New power heads... need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a pair of 1300 gph. Total gph is obviously 2600. Is that too much flow for my 55? I have really small grain sand and its moving it quite a bit. I have one power head in each rear corner and they are pointed towards the front upper middle section of the glass... if that makes any sense. I know its not going to harm my fish but I do have a feather duster that seems to be pushed around quite a bit no matter where I put it. Any advice, ideas, or recommendations?

I think if you can get the sweet spot with the powerheads you will be good. Maybe lower them on the glass so they point upwards more? I messed with mine quite a bit before I found the perfect setup. :)

I was debating on taking one out but I don't want to have too much of a directional flow. I think I will try what Carey said and just keep playing around with them. Also, if I can find a good place in between rock or something for the feather duster, I'm sure the sand will eventually find a good place to settle so its not being blown around so much.

carey said:
I think if you can get the sweet spot with the powerheads you will be good. Maybe lower them on the glass so they point upwards more? I messed with mine quite a bit before I found the perfect setup. :)

I've always been told, "you can never have too much water movement". Obviously that's not true but I'm sure what was meant is that a lot of movement is a good thing. At least when it comes to FOWLR.

I'm a big believer in never having enough flow. LOL

I've run 750's in my 29g biocube and had 2 750's in my 29g regular tank. It may take some fiddling but it can work.

I currently have a 1400 and a 950 in my 4 foot 90g and it seems perfect so you should be good with the two 1300's if you can get them setup right. Fish only people say don't need as much circulation but it's never a bad thing unless your fish are swimming against the current or blowing around the tank. lol

This may be a fish only tank but I would still think that more flow is better. It helps prevent sediment and, it gives the fish a little more exercise. Lol. I think I'm going to keep trying to rearrange them and see what I can get out if them. If I can't get it right, then ill be doing some changes.

You can also try to bounce the flow off the rocks too, diffuse the flow and you will get good circulation around the rocks.

Thats the whole idea of powerheads, to keep sediment from forming on the sand and getting it floating so that your filtration can catch it. Also really good for gas exchange and can help keep your ph stable.

Back
Top Bottom