New tank cloudy. Clown fish waiting in bag!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SneezingTetra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up a new 10 gal nano FOWLR rank. I have 4 lbs of cured Fiji rock and 50/50 8lbs of live sand and new aquarium sand. The water is still pretty cloudy after adding the water.

I have had the 2 clownfish in the bag since 6:30pm. It is now 10pm!! I opened the bag up for oxygen. They seems fine kinda swimming around now in the baggy. Can i add them anytime soon??? Thank so much!

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 134
thanks, but i already did. and now im out of saltwater. and all the stores around me are closed. Are they ok in the bag i dont wanna loose them!

yes set it up tonight. I was really skeptical. But the guy told me that with cured live rock and sand from an existing 12 gal nano reef tank that the cycle will be minimized and that i could safely add two clowns.

Your tank is cloudy due to not rinsing the sand and not letting the salt water achieve an oxygen/ co2 level. It's never good to set up a tank then add fish right away. The best thing I could say is add them to the water for the night then try and return them to the lfs the next day. Wait Until your tank is done cycled to add any fish to it.

I second that. You should be able to keep them alive til tomorrow when you can return them.

It's not good for the fish to cycle with the tank, it could kill them. It probably won't take long to cycle if you already have seeded rock from an established tank.

is the sand going to be a problem for them?! Should i put them in the tank which is getting better by the minute, or keep them in the bag? thank you!!!

Do you know if the salinity is right? You just mixed the salt water tonight or did you buy it mixed already?
Not sure if thats vital if its only overnight. I think if it were me I would put them in. But I am not an expert by any means.

yeah the water was premixed. Thing is i cant even run my mechanical filter, i tried it an hour ago and it clogged. Hmmm i think ill put them in the tank though, i dont see them making it in the bag either.

Btw anyone know the signs of stressed ocellaris clownfish? thanks!

This is what I would do. Test the sg and make sure it is within 1.019-1.026. Check the temp and make sure that is ok.
1. Set up a drip with a air line. Make sure it drips only a few drops a sec.
2.place the clownfish I'n a bucket with the water from the bag.run the drip from the tank to the bucket.
3.turn off all the lights to not stress the fish.
4. Wait about half an hour.
5.place the clownfish in the tank and monitor them for about half an hour.
Just follow the steps and your fish should e ok for the night. As far as sand trust me it will all settle to the bottom In 24 to48 hours your tank will be crystal clear.

Sounds like you have a HOB filter that is clogged up. Taking it apart and cleaning it should help. Since you are going to cycle with fish you can expect about 10 times the work to keep the fish alive.

I would recommend it but when it comes down to it its up to you. Just know that if you keep them you will have to do almost daily water changes to keep ammonia down to almost 0. Now grant it this all depends on how good the live rock was. You will still experience a cycle due to the population of your sand and your filter. What you can do is get a bacterial substitute like dr. Tims one and only or something else like it. This introduces bacteria to your tank allowing for almost no cycle at all. Thus letting you keep your fish with out the harm of high ammonia.

ok thanks for all the help. Im about to add them to the tank. I call the guy tomorrow and depending on how my fish are doing return them or not. And will keep up with the water changes you suggested to avoid ammonia spikes.

Back
Top Bottom