Niger trigger tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aajvell93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a niger trigger for about two months now. He has been alone so I was nervous about adding anyone else. I have in and picked up a yellow tang and a chromis. Within ten minutes the chromis had been swallowed. (He was very tiny anyways so I expected it). He nipped at the tang who then started to bully back. The tang has been in for almost a week. They swim together and have not nipped or chased eachother for a while. Eventually, would a clown be okay to add? Currently I have a 30g tank, soon going up to a 55+ gallon. Have not decided yet.

I would say he would eat the clown too. When you are thinking of your upgrade, which will have to be sooner rather than later, keep in mind the Niger needs 180g ;)

I would say he would eat the clown too. When you are thinking of your upgrade, which will have to be sooner rather than later, keep in mind the Niger needs 180g ;)

Unfortunately, I can't have an aquarium that big in my apartment :( I don't want to get rid of him, he's so pretty and has a personality. Him and the tang are buddies. But the trigger will actually lunge at the glass to the cats. But I think I'll have to so I can get a clown.

I have found that most places don't care about a 125 gallon tank. It's when you get up there past that they mind. If you could go with that, I would!!

I have found that most places don't care about a 125 gallon tank. It's when you get up there past that they mind. If you could go with that, I would!!

I respectfully disagree. Most apartments will have a rental agreement that states whether you can have anything filled with water (aquarium, waterbed, etc). Most that I have seen and heard of will not allow you to have any size aquarium. Best bet is to check the agreement and then you will know exactly what you can get away with, if anything.

Regarding the Tang and Trigger...that tank is too small. Puppies and kitties are cute too, but they (like certain fish) need lots of room to move around. You (hopefully) would not keep a dog or cat in a little box their whole life, so why do the equivalent to a fish just because its cute?

I respectfully disagree. Most apartments will have a rental agreement that states whether you can have anything filled with water (aquarium, waterbed, etc). Most that I have seen and heard of will not allow you to have any size aquarium. Best bet is to check the agreement and then you will know exactly what you can get away with, if anything.

Regarding the Tang and Trigger...that tank is too small. Puppies and kitties are cute too, but they (like certain fish) need lots of room to move around. You (hopefully) would not keep a dog or cat in a little box their whole life, so why do the equivalent to a fish just because its cute?

No I do not keep my cats in a small space. The trigger is still pretty small right now. Trust me, I would love a bigger tank, but I can't get anything larger, I asked. They are letting me slide with a 55 gallon but they won't let me fill it up all of the way. Soy turtles are in there. We're hoping to get a larger place soon then which I'll do my upgrade. I knew the tank was too small, but since he is small I think he will be okay until the upgrade.

I have asked them, and they will not allow anything bigger with us being on the second floor.

The tricky thing with adding more fish now is that you have an agressive fish in a small tank and its going to want to go after new additions that can not fend for themselves. Generally, you want to add fish from least agressive to most agressive, so this is kinda going backwards in that regard. Something like a yellow stripe maroon clownfish would work in a smaller tank and is agressive as well. Maybe a spotted Hawkfish or one of the agressive Hawks that are okay in smaller tanks. The Trigger could easily take any of them out in a heartbeat though, so there is risk with even the best options.

The Trigger will have to go eventually, as they get a foot in length, which even if it were alone will not work in a 55g (48"x13"x21").

So your Niger is in a 55g tank only have filled? With turtles in it? Save yourself the heartache and find him a proper home, he will not be happy in small quarters (lunging at the glass) same goes for the tang, they are prone to illness when stressed (in small tanks) and when he develops ich it will be a nightmare for you to deal with. There are loads of great fish you can fit in a 55g that will make your tank colourful and active and stress free!

Bectan01

No he is not in a half filled tank with turtles. He is in a 29 gallon tank by himself.

I know the apartments I lived in allowed big tanks, but nothing over 125. I guess it just depends on where you live.

I got rid of the trigger. So all I have now is my tang. Would a coral beauty be okay in a 30 gallon?

It sure is. Read up on it in the nano reef section. Lots of good info. Sorry about the trigger, but there still cool fish and lots of coral options.

It sure is. Read up on it in the nano reef section. Lots of good info. Sorry about the trigger, but there still cool fish and lots of coral options.

I don't want to start a reef tank just yet. Right now I just want a FOWLR tank. When I am able to get a large aquarium is when I'll do reef. I've had salt water since I was ten and have owned:
Bi color angel
Yellow tang
Clownfish
Damsels
Coral beauty
Blue tang
Niger trigger
Blenny
I'd kinda like to have something I have never owned before, in your opinion what are some other cool fish to have? (That would work for a 30g with a yellow tang)

I would not keep a dwarf angel of any kind in less than a 75g, maybe a Pygmy like a Cherub or Flameback, but even that is pushing it IMO. I know some sites will say its okay. I tend to be more comfortable with sites like liveaquaria that go bigger. IMO, too small causes problems the majority of the time. Larger rarely does.

A yellow tang in a 30 is a bad idea...it really needs about four times that volume.

Back
Top Bottom