Powder Blue Tang in 240g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have always heard Powder Blue Tangs can be aggressive, but I see them and am considering getting one once the hypo is done in my 240g. I've never owned one and know you can't always believe what you read. I have a large Desjardini Tang already and the PBT would probably be half the size. I trust the folks here. Feedback is appreciated (for or against)...

soooo ive got one at the moment in my 265g tank 10ft long..... its with a whole bunch of other tangs, so far ive got yellow tang, hippo tang, chocolate tang, tomini tang, lopezi tang and a vampire tang.... its tang central lol.

but so far no real issue.... occasionally it has a little brawl...but very rare.

When brawling it's not too aggressive... never really left scratches or anything... guess its just to show whos boss

Ive kept a powder blue with lots of tangs including an 11" desjardini and had no issue. Remember if they look similar they will be more prone to aggression, but those 2 fish should be fine in a tank your size.

I'm more worried about it getting along with everything, not just the Desjardini. I've always heard that Powders and Clown Tangs can be unfriendly. I might give it a try though...

I had one and it was a great fish. As far as I know there suppose to be that last fish in the tank thing but I don't think you'll have a problem with one in that size tank. Get it there beautiful

I know Clowns are agressive. That would be my first choice, but it is asking for trouble. I've heard Sohals get nasty as they age too.

I know Clowns are agressive. That would be my first choice, but it is asking for trouble. I've heard Sohals get nasty as they age too.

I wouldn't put either of those in a 240. I saw some truly massive shoals in a 35,000 gallon aquarium in charleston and they swam the length of that huge tank in minutes. I think the powder blue would be the best choice of the 3.

It is like having a Lamborghini on a dirt track. These fish darn near fly.
You've seen a Lambo on a dirt track?!?!? lucky man you are.

Todd, IMO i would't. i had a PBrT at one point and although he def was the stereotyical tang behavior, i've read too many stories regarding illness with them. As far as i see it, the powders are right up there with the Hippos in terms of disease prone. Given the fairly wide diversity in the general tang family, I'd say theres better optinos that aren't as risky (at least in my eyes)

Probably best not to then. There are many others that would work.

Since my big tank is on hold right now, I'm going to focus on a smaller reef or possibly run the 240 as a reef for the next couple months. I was set on doing the 240 idea, but there is a 50g acrylic on CL for $50 and now I'm thinking bedroom reef tank again. I should just stay off that site right now. Too many options! :)

Back
Top Bottom