Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyCraft

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this urge to add a puffer to my wishlist of fish... a fishlist i guess. Anyway, I think the puffers seems to have a lot some personality and react well to humans or at least that is what I have seen in the big tanks at the fish stores. With 55 gallon and 2 damsels (yellow tail and a light blue one that could be taken back to the store if need be), do you think a puffer is unreasonable to have? I wish I had purchased a bigger tank!

Be aware of the fact that the puffers eat snails and various other inverts. I had not bought a clean-up crew and decided to get some snails. Only one made it overnight with my valentino at them. One snail didnt even hit the bottom. The valentino had mutilated the exposed soft snail tissue.

My one and only fish at the moment (tank in limbo) is a spotted puffer. He is a VERY cool fish, very responsive to you when you approach the tank. Lots of personality.

Here's a bad picture i took today of him in his temporary home

Fish%20Tank%20Reloaded007.JPG

hey there,

My valentini puffer has so much character, he is easily my favourite fish. very funny to watch, he's like a human sometimes. They are very smart and always greet you when you walk in the room.

Mine is reef safe (only time he goes near them is to sleep in them), and leaves my CBS alone. He occasionally tries to get the snails, but i think he just does it sometimes because he's bored, i've never had a dead snail

Highly recommended fish

What size tank are those puffers in? I guess my real question is: Is a 55 goiing to be too small for the puffer (e.g. valentini puffer)? Don't want him to be cramped.

My valentini is in a 75g reef, and he's probably 1.5" at the moment. They can grow up to 4" so i'd say anything over a 30g tank would be fine for these guys. Just make sure your LFS is willing to take him back if he becomes a menace to your other tank mates and clean up crew

Back
Top Bottom