re-aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope just ordered yesterday and it will ship out tomorrow (monday). I may sell the old rock back to my LFS.

if your lfs dont take it keep it and mbye do a project for your tank or sell it mabye. if be intrestsd in buyin a little bit of the denser rock itd be good contrasting agenst the porous lighter rock im gnna get

Get about 3-5 pounds of live rock just to seed the rest of your rock even if you aren't planning on setting up a Reef Tank

Seed the base rock with Live rock from local fish store. If you dont want to deal with LR, maybe ask them for a cup of sand and you can seed your sand with that. Make sure the sand is from a coral tank though so that no copper or other chemicals are in it. I think I remember you had an emperor HOB filter right? if you do, the biowheel should have bacteria growth on there too

I'm already cycled and my rocks and filter already have the good bacteria on them. Shouldn't they transfer over to the base rock (provided I leave them in there and slowly bring the base rock in).

I just don't understand the NEED for live rock, as so many people are suggesting. Do I NEED it? If so I'm just looking for an explanation why :p I'm not against it, just trying to learn.

I only suggested the branched live rock because it is so pretty, i don't think you can get it dead(dry).

I would also get a few chunks of live rock though if i were you, just because of the coralline that i would want to spread. Plus i love all the critters/corals that can show up and grow out of know where on live rock.

I think what everyone is trying to say is stack some of your rocks around your base rock to seed it. It'll be faster than just leaving them separate? I think that's what everyone is trying to say haha

This is my first saltwater. Used mostly live rock and a bit of lace rock. See the difference with live rock?

Attachments

• image-129221363.jpg
    image-129221363.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 139
Is it the coloring, I can't tell too much of a difference :confused:

Also, nice edge. I have one also, but my little brother is using it right now. When he's bored of fishes, I'll prob make it an invert tank

Is it the coloring, I can't tell too much of a difference :confused:

Also, nice edge. I have one also, but my little brother is using it right now. When he's bored of fishes, I'll prob make it an invert tank

The color yes that is a difference but it's also the shapes of the pieces, that being said some LFS will sell very ugly liverock, the baserock is sometimes much much nicer. Here is a picture with both baserock and liverock.
img_1310214_0_2f08e98e5ea2314a3ca06c0b5e8a77ee.jpg

The two middle pieces on the bottom are baserock, porous and nice yes but not much for nice shape. The rest are branching and really neat liverock. Usually easier to find nice pieces to stack for tunnels and such.

Here is another pic of the left side of the tank
img_1310214_1_19628ecf6d88cca89bf6f40d620b09ad.jpg

The Tall vertical piece is baserock, i like this piece personally. The long narrow baserock pieces are perfect for standing upright or for placing across two others to make a tunnel. I'd ask for quite a few of these in your order if you still can. Again the piece to the right of the baserock is live, really neat shape again.

It's really all about personal preference : )

How is the tank doing with the changes and have you received your base rock yet because I'm getting interested in your tank lol

Just received the base rock today :-D nice looking pieces! I'll post a picture later.

The tank water has stabilized, amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. I'm sure the rock will mess something up lol

Might make the water harder or the ph drop/rise or something? I don't know but I feel it.

Yep right in it went. I havent had any spikes but i do have a nice light green algae growing on it already. :-D

I'll have to put mine in slow.
Or I might just put it all in and then pull the old rocks out slowly. Like 1 or 2 a day or something.. so I keep the bacteria.

Why dont you just cover the rocks you don't like, put them on the bottom of the other new rocks. it's a shame to waste all that LR

Here's my "rock tank"

2iu72tk.jpg

I bet the fishies are really loving it.
I'm wondering if my tank will hold the ~90lbs of rock and ~60 pounds of sand until I can start pulling some rocks out.

This rock is really nice! The white really makes the tank pop.

Back
Top Bottom