re-aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I didn't really know what I was doing when I set up my first saltwater tank, and as a result it looks very freshwaterish.

I understand the the substrate and rocks have a lot of beneficial bacteria on them.

I want to replace the gravel substrate with sand and rearrange the rocks. Then I'm going to get a blue background and take out the artificial plants.

So I think I will slowly move the rocks over to one side of the aquarium. Then slowly scoop out the gravel with a fish net... maybe 1/4th at a time and replace that with sand. Then wait a week or two and repeat until I have the whole tank's substrate replaced.

Then I can rearrange the rocks.

Think this will work with fish in the tank? By not replacing too much gravel at once and by not taking out the rocks I can keep most of the bacteria in there. And doing it slowly will allow me to test the water and try to keep it stable.

I would do it all at once, but that's because I'm kind of lazy. Your method of doing it a 1/4th at a time will work too though. You should have enough bacteria on the rocks to do it all at once though, if you change your mind. You will need to do a water change afterwards because you'll stir up alot of gunk. :) Good luck and take pics when you get it all arranged.

Thanks. :) I'll probably do half at a time then. Just so I have a place to move the rocks and to not rush it.

Pool filter sand works good, right? (I've read that) Rather than buying the expensive sand at the LFS.

halfway done with half!
the water is a little cloudy so I'm letting it settle before doing the other half

the blue background mad such a huge difference
and the sand is looking great too

will definitely post before and after pictures
though it'll be a while before i get to the other half LOL
exhausting!

Yeah, I'm fully expected to wake up with dead fish tomorrow.

The water got so cloudy, even after I thorougly rinsed the sand. I then did a 20% PWC, which I didn't want to do because I'm tired.. but I felt obligated to, so I did.

Wonder if fish inhale these little sand particles in the water and if it harms them?

PS: Henry, this is my first month SW experience too :)

I don't think people have had fish die from the sand clouding the water. Just leave your filter running and it should clear up pretty fast.

Sweet, fish are healthy and water is clear. ;)
Going to do the other half tonight!

I have an excellent idea for what to do with the rocks. I hope I have enough.

OK, never change your substrate unless you're prepared for a crapload of work!!

I finished the second half and did another 20% PWC. Tomorrow I will arrange the rocks and decorations and show before and after pictures.

Lost a green chromis :(
Just tested the water. Ammonia looks like it's between 0 and 0.25 but everything else is good.
Wonder if I stressed him out too bad :(

You may have stirred up some nasties in your substrate plus maybe the stress too . :-(

Sorry about your fish, that sucks

Yeah. I just cleaned the filter.. I unplugged it before I removed it and a bunch of gunk came out of it into the water. I did not know that would happen.

Rinsed off the filter pads with tank water, though one was so gunked up I threw it away and put a new one in there (+new activated carbon in it). I have two filter pads in there so I still have a lot of the bactera on the other one.

Now I have the cleaned filter running removing some junk in the tank. Tonight I'm going to vacuum the sand, clean the glass, and do a PWC. Then I'm done messing with these little guys for a while! I'll just keep them nice and happy and healthy and clean!

So I may have pics tonight and if not.. definitely tomorrow!

So in my first month I've had a crab and a green chromis die on me. The crab was weak but the green chromis was definitely my fault.

I'm sure you guys have accidentally killed things before?

Sorry about the death, but your tank will be better in the long run. I think I remember a pic you posted before with the gravel and lots of plastic plants.

Sorry about the death, but your tank will be better in the long run. I think I remember a pic you posted before with the gravel and lots of plastic plants.

Yep. I thought I liked it at the time but I want my tank to look more like a saltwater tank to distinguish it. I think it looks good! Will post a pic in the morning after the water settles.

Sorry about the fish. How clear is your water clearing up?

It cleared up from the sand nicely.. settled pretty quick. But I had a filter mishap and then did a PWC and cleaned the glass. However by morning it'll be pretty clear. :)

So glad to be done with this rearrangement. This will be permanent LOL.. maybe a few minor tweaks though.

Pictures. May move things around a little bit. I think the rock looks cluttered on the right side, though my fish love all of the little holes and caves. And i used the white rocks to build a little rock island :)

Before:
2niqyxx.jpg

After:
2a97894.jpg

Some closeups:

qysigl.jpg

2por6ls.jpg

14m9wmv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom