re-aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, lots of rock! haha can't wait till you get it all set up and arranged.

Thank you! :)
I was so caught up in myself I forgot to tell you how absolutely beautiful the tank is that you posted!

I'm pretty sure if you can fit it, it can hold it. just try to prevent any dead spots.

That's what I read on google. One article even went as far to say that as long as it's evenly distributed, it could be filled up to the top with rocks.

Well I'm still seeding the base rock with the live rock. Diatoms getting all over my pretty white rock. :(

It's been 4 days now. Think I can start slowly removing some of the old rocks in about 3 more days?

Has it finished cycling? I read it happens to newly cycled tanks.
Maybe you will not get them :p Hope so, they're ugly.

It is bad, LOL! Well, not really.. just ugly.

If I scrub the rocks to get the diatoms off will that mess up the bacteria I'm trying to get to seed on them?

And also will it mess up my water quality?

If it is just diatoms, then I'd leave it be, they'll go away in time, I know it looks real bad, but it'll be gone as quick as it came. Not sure if I'd keep disturbing everything.

Yeah, I'm surprised I haven't messed inside the tank for 4 days. :-D

Good call, I'll play it safe.

That's a lot of rocks! Lol. I see a big improvement! Your tank looks saltwater! :)

If your parameters are good, I would start removing the old rocks, maybe start with the little rocks and keep checking your parameters. My tank has been running for almost 3 weeks, finished cycling a week ago and no sign of diatom. Guess I got lucky :D. I used all RO/DI water though so that might have been why

So, my water parameters are good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrates (how does one get 0 nitrates? i thought that was the end result of the nitrogen cycle, but i tested twice)

So.. I removed 1 larger rock and 3 pieces of the small rock. !!!!! Space is clearing up.

Looks like the diatoms are slightly less noticeable as well.

I can only think of 0 nitrates from super clean water or something is using it up, maybe the algae? carey is almost 0 nitrates and I think its amazing. My nitrate has never been below 20ppm but its fairly new

Back
Top Bottom