Restarting 55 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pammy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I'm new here and would like some advice on how to restart my 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. I've had it for several years with varying success. However, over the last couple years it has sat with nothing in it except for live rock. The rock has remained for the most part submerged and the filter has been running constantly -- I've done no water changes. I've just added water when it gets too low. I'm finally at a place where I can start it up again and am not sure where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I'm close to where you are, though I just slacked with WCs (check the last page in the link in my signature).

If the liverock (hopefully it's still live) has coralline on it, you should be good, and even better if you have a few snails/hermits/bristle worms/pods around. First off, check all of the necessary parameters: ammonia, temp, pH, nitrates/ites, sg. If all of those are at a good level, fill up the tank and do a 20% WC, then check the parameters again.

Still balanced? Add a few hardy fish like clowns or gobies (I used 2 clowns, diamond watchman goby, and a firefish). Let your new friends swim around for about a week, keeping an eye on everything. If all is well, keep it up!

Oh, and if the parameters are way off after you add water the first time, consider sitting back and watching the tank re cycle... this is the safest route for your new fish, and your sanity/time/stress level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom