Salty Noobs 37g Bow Front Build..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clowns are doing great guys! Love the Coloration in these guys these were totally worth $70

Attachment malfunction lol here's the pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130810_222539.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130810_222539.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 120
well, i'm not sure about the lfs that you guys buy live rock from. my lfs has the rocks in two really large containers. i doubt they will have some hitch hikers on these rocks. furthermore, chances are there's probably some bristle worms or aptasia or things of that nature. i would love me some beneficial or cool looking hitch hikers, but just not something that is considered as pet.

I purchased all of my live rock in a similar set up. My lfs has 4 feeding troughs set up with water and powerheads full of live rock. No light and no fish. But why do you think bristle worms are pests?

What I did get on my live rock were mini feather dusters, micro serpent stars, 1 unidentified snail, copepods, amphipods, isopods, bristle worms, a few vermetid snails, 1 easily removed aiptasia, and half a dozen other strange additions. If they are kept in a lighted system there will be the possibility of tons of other hitch hikers on the rock and possibly corals.

Thanks I'm so happy with these guys. My stock list so far is this pair of clowns, one fire angel, one yellow watchman goby with accompanied pistol shrimp, and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp. Should be a tidy little tank setup and Ill be ready for corals!

What Should I get as a cleaning crew? And how many of?

I would base your cleaning crew on the needs of your tank. Starting out small and then adding to it as the tank ages. I would start out with 4 or 5 assorted things from this list.

Some good early additions:
Cerith Snails
Astrea Snails (will die if they tip over)
Turban Snails
Turbo Snails (bulldozers)
Nassarius snails (eats uneaten food)
Hermit Crabs (Will kill snails for a bigger home occasionally.)

When the tank is more established you could try adding a porcelain crab or emerald crab.

There are tons of other options for a clean up crew but this is a good tarting place.

I would base your cleaning crew on the needs of your tank. Starting out small and then adding to it as the tank ages. I would start out with 4 or 5 assorted things from this list.

Some good early additions:
Cerith Snails
Astrea Snails (will die if they tip over)
Turban Snails
Turbo Snails (bulldozers)
Nassarius snails (eats uneaten food)
Hermit Crabs (Will kill snails for a bigger home occasionally.)

When the tank is more established you could try adding a porcelain crab or emerald crab.

There are tons of other options for a clean up crew but this is a good tarting place.

I like the real crab idea, I'm not a hermit fan, and I hate the littered sand look of snail and hermit tanks, would actual crabs eat the uneaten food? How about waste? Any nipping?

Porcelain crabs are filter feeders. They will eat what they catch in the water column plus anything that you specifically feed them.

Emerald crabs are great algae cleaners and are commonly used for bubble algae.

Snails are some of the best cleaners out there.

After the tank matures you could look at getting an urchin (my fav is the rock borer) and either a serpent star or brittle star.

Porcelain crabs are filter feeders. They will eat what they catch in the water column plus anything that you specifically feed them.

Emerald crabs are great algae cleaners and are commonly used for bubble algae.

Snails are some of the best cleaners out there.

After the tank matures you could look at getting an urchin (my fav is the rock borer) and either a serpent star or brittle star.

Ok well if I'm going to get hermits and snails who cleans better?

I love your Clowns, they are very cute! I have been considering a pair of Black and White Clownfish for my next build!

Thanks, I was actually looking into a pair of black and white percula clowns but I fell in love with personality of these caramels!

Morning tank shot guys, I'm so happy with sw, the fish are happy and healthy, the live rock is looking good too, the water is crystal clear, and I'm loving it!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130811_095845.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130811_095845.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 90
Well day one is gone and the caramel clowns were a success, they're healthy and eating. Evening tank shot!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130811_204700.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130811_204700.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 77
Oh, they are Caramels......cool! I am so glad you are enjoying your tank, and thanks for the fun picture updates!

I can't wait to set a SW again.....hopefully, soon! :)

Back
Top Bottom