Salty Noobs 37g Bow Front Build..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mines about 18" deep is that good? I have about 2-1/2 of bed sand so mines about 16" deep then?

Well guys its day two and my nitrates are hovering around zero with no spikes yet and my water temperature is steady at 78*

My clowns are happy and healthy and still eating well. They love camera time lol pics!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130812_221436.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130812_221436.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20130812_221456.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130812_221456.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 86
alrighty guys, last night opportunity came a knockin and i let her in.. lol

i was over at a buddy of mines' place while he was in the middle of fragging some corals and i asked jokingly, "hey ill give you all the change in my ashtray for that skunk cleaner shrimp." and he looked back and said, "oh yeah?" with an inquisitive face, i noticed he was sorta serious so before he could take it back i walked outside to my truck, and walked right back in and dumped it on the bench, it was exactly $2.18 and he just shrugged and swept it off the table into his pocket and i took home the shrimp.

moral of the story, i got me a nice skunk cleaner shrimp for basically $1.99+tax, when at my lrs they sell for $28.99+tax. im ecstatic about it, and hes so red! im used to my africans and how uncomon it is to come by the color red in a tank, hes just awesome. i was going to wait another week before adding some cleaning crew but like i said you cant beat 90% off lol pics coming soon.

Well here he is, he's still camera shy lol as soon as my clown saw the camera he jetted over lol

Also its day 5 guys and the tank still looks great and the clowns are more active than before, exploring and playing they look happy and I am too. Pics!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130815_125513.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130815_125513.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20130815_125546.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130815_125546.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20130815_125914.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130815_125914.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 75
Be careful if that ammonia spikes with that shrimp! He'll most likely die way quicker than the clowns. I'd be doing water changes frequently and don't add anything else for a while test every day as well. You tank is not cycled yet so there's a chance anything you add won't make it through the cycle. Good luck though.

Looks great man!! Can't wait to see coral in there!

thanks alot bud, i cant wait either but i will for at least 6 months, let my tank mature then BAM im gonna go nuts lol

Be careful if that ammonia spikes with that shrimp! He'll most likely die way quicker than the clowns. I'd be doing water changes frequently and don't add anything else for a while test every day as well. You tank is not cycled yet so there's a chance anything you add won't make it through the cycle. Good luck though.

thanks faye, ive been monitoring my tanks parameters daily at 7o'clock after the lights been on for 1hr every evening and my nitrates are hovering around 0-5ppm

As long as you're monitoring and doing water changes if needed you could be ok. In my first tank I cycled with cured live rock and a scooter blenny. That's how clueless I was. Over a year later my blenny has doubled in size and he's been through two 3-4 day power outages (hurricane sandy and the large snowstorm the week after). Anything is possible! I'm more worried about your shrimp though. But again mine went through the same two outages and he's still kickin!

As long as you're monitoring and doing water changes if needed you could be ok. In my first tank I cycled with cured live rock and a scooter blenny. That's how clueless I was. Over a year later my blenny has doubled in size and he's been through two 3-4 day power outages (hurricane sandy and the large snowstorm the week after). Anything is possible! I'm more worried about your shrimp though. But again mine went through the same two outages and he's still kickin!

im getting some evaporation so ill be doing a water change soon, maybe saturday, im not sure ill keep an eye on my parameters though. i really want him to live, ive done worse and it turned out ok so i have high hopes for these guys, that reminds me thuogh i have to get my saltwater prep stuff ready i have an emergency kit for my freshwater tanks but i need a sw one, thanks again!

:thanks:

Make sure you're topping off with fresh though. A large swing in salinity will def kill that shrimp. Keep us posted on how it goes! :)

well aparently i was 1-1/2 gallons low and im trying to monitor what my evaporation is per week, im going to be leaving the light on from 5:30pm-11:30pm daily, im running a dual t5ho fixture and its keeping my water at about 79* and all my stock looks really happy and healthy.

hey tim how much will the salinity flux with 1-2 gallon loss?

Tough to say really. It's something you just have to test. Once you get the 40-50 lbs of live rock you'll need in your tank. You're likely only housing 25-28 gallons of water so losing 1-2 gallons then would be a big deal. Might not kill anything but just causes unnecessary stress on your fish and inverts. But it this way when I got a refractometer it showed 1.031 where my hydrometer was giving me 1.025. I added about 8-9 gallons of fresh water and it pulled it down to 1.026 in a 210 gallon tank. So imagine the drastic changes it would make in your tank. I've never had a tank smaller than 55 so I honestly wouldn't be able to give you a scientific answer.

Back
Top Bottom