Salty Noobs 37g Bow Front Build..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chances are you didn't give your time time to even start cycling. Your water will look like its ready but when the cycle starts the ammonia will likely kill your Carmels unfortunately. Not to be a downer but that's the sad truth if being impatient in saltwater. Nothing happens fast and patience is the most important thing to have when dealing with saltwater.

That's a good point. It would be a good idea to check your water parameters daily to keep an eye on the tank. If things get out of whack you can always try to find a LFS that sells cured live rock. That is fully cycled rock.

The good thing is that there are only 2 clowns in that size of a tank so it will take a bit to foul the water.

That's a good point. It would be a good idea to check your water parameters daily to keep an eye on the tank. If things get out of whack you can always try to find a LFS that sells cured live rock. That is fully cycled rock.

The good thing is that there are only 2 clowns in that size of a tank so it will take a bit to foul the water.

Sorry guys I jumped the gun, ill be keeping a tight watch on my parameters for sure I love these guys too much

Sorry guys I jumped the gun, ill be keeping a tight watch on my parameters for sure I love these guys too much

I know exactly how you feel :) I spent the extra money for cured live rock so I could skip the waiting period for the cycle :D

If parameters get too high I would recommend using AmQuel to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite and dosing the top fin bacteria in a bottle(or bio spira if you have the $$$) to quickly convert them to less harmful nitrate. You will have to continue doing this until you bacteria levels reach high enough levels to convert them naturally. Get an ammonia level indicator for your tank for a quick reference on the levels. They have them at petsmart usually and they just suction inside your tank. They change colors if your ammonia levels rise. Nothing beats a test kit though.

If parameters get too high I would recommend using AmQuel to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite and dosing the top fin bacteria in a bottle(or bio spira if you have the $$$) to quickly convert them to less harmful nitrate. You will have to continue doing this until you bacteria levels reach high enough levels to convert them naturally. Get an ammonia level indicator for your tank for a quick reference on the levels. They have them at petsmart usually and they just suction inside your tank. They change colors if your ammonia levels rise. Nothing beats a test kit though.

I'm definitely going to look into this tomorrow I have test kits but they're low range ph freshwater kits

Get the API saltwater master test kit. It's pretty cheap and has ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate with a high range saltwater ph kit. I know everyone says API isn't accurate to the T but I've used them on my tank for the last several years and never had an issue.

Get the API saltwater master test kit. It's pretty cheap and has ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate with a high range saltwater ph kit. I know everyone says API isn't accurate to the T but I've used them on my tank for the last several years and never had an issue.

That's what I'm using now on my fw tanks, the api kit, I like em they work good, ill have to go pick up a kit today.

alright guys, i plan in the future to add a few corals, what are some good starter corals to go with, i like the zoas and mushrooms, and the ones that will move with wavemakers.. just a hint of what i want, if your have pics post em up please!

Other than Mushrooms and Zoas there are two that cross my mind that make great beginner corals. They are both difficult to kill but a lot of people don't like them due to how fast they grow.

The first is Pulsing Xenia. The polyps regularly open and close in the water adding some nice movement to the tank.

75748-albums12608-picture60462.jpg

The second is a Kenya Tree which in my experience grows even faster than the pulsing xenia. It flows very well in the water current. These two pictures are the same coral a month and a half apart so you can see how fast they grow.

75748-albums12608-picture59550.jpg

75748-albums12608-picture59549.jpg

Other than Mushrooms and Zoas there are two that cross my mind that make great beginner corals. They are both difficult to kill but a lot of people don't like them due to how fast they grow.

The first is Pulsing Xenia. The polyps regularly open and close in the water adding some nice movement to the tank.

75748-albums12608-picture60462.jpg

The second is a Kenya Tree which in my experience grows even faster than the pulsing xenia. It flows very well in the water current. These two pictures are the same coral a month and a half apart so you can see how fast they grow.

75748-albums12608-picture59550.jpg

75748-albums12608-picture59549.jpg

those look cool, any other color variations?

There's a few different variations on the pulsing xenia. I'm not sure about the kenya tree though.

Xenia made a mess of my tank. It will sprout up all over the place but for the longest time Xenia and zoas were all I had in my. 55 reef, wound up selling it all for $8 a frag and made a boat load of cash lol Xenia is awesome it just doesn't ship well normally so find someone local that has it and can frag it. I'd send you some out of my tank for free but the shipping cost wouldn't be worth it lol mine seems like it grows two fold everytime I frag it. My hammer coral and torch coral keeps it under control for the most part haha.

Xenia made a mess of my tank. It will sprout up all over the place but for the longest time Xenia and zoas were all I had in my. 55 reef, wound up selling it all for $8 a frag and made a boat load of cash lol Xenia is awesome it just doesn't ship well normally so find someone local that has it and can frag it. I'd send you some out of my tank for free but the shipping cost wouldn't be worth it lol mine seems like it grows two fold everytime I frag it. My hammer coral and torch coral keeps it under control for the most part haha.

pics or it never happened lol, no but really i nee some pics guys, i wanna get an idea of how im going to arrange my tank i dont want to move it around alot i want to set it for the long run so i dont stress out my fish rearranging constantly

i just did some quick research and i like hammers and finger leathers the most, then zoas and toadstools, good combo? and should i place them all on the live rock or can i put them in the sand bed?

Good choices :)

Hammers will do best in the substrate and away from other corals since they are aggressive. Zoanthids will do best when glued to rocks. I've tried my finger leather in both the substrate and on rocks and I am liking it on the substrate more (It also seems happier in the substrate).

Good choices :)

Hammers will do best in the substrate and away from other corals since they are aggressive. Zoanthids will do best when glued to rocks. I've tried my finger leather in both the substrate and on rocks and I am liking it on the substrate more (It also seems happier in the substrate).

so what about lighting? my tank is 18" deep and im runninga dual t5 ho fixture with a 10,000k white and blue actinic bulb, would i need to place them closer to the light? i.e. higher up?

so what about lighting? my tank is 18" deep and im runninga dual t5 ho fixture with a 10,000k white and blue actinic bulb, would i need to place them closer to the light? i.e. higher up?

The kenya tree should be okay on the bottom but I would keep the xenia a little higher. If you get a finger leather it will definitely have to be put a little higher in the tank. Not sure about a hammer coral, I just delved into trying out LPS and am having a hard time with them so haven't bought a hammer yet.

I ran dual t5ho on my 20g for quite a while.

The kenya tree should be okay on the bottom but I would keep the xenia a little higher. If you get a finger leather it will definitely have to be put a little higher in the tank. Not sure about a hammer coral, I just delved into trying out LPS and am having a hard time with them so haven't bought a hammer yet.

I ran dual t5ho on my 20g for quite a while.

So I should be ok with this lighting then. That's good to know.

I have 450 watts of MH and 400 watts of actinic and anywhere below half tank my hammers aren't happy. I'd say your lights aren't strong enough for hammers in my opinion.

I have 450 watts of MH and 400 watts of actinic and anywhere below half tank my hammers aren't happy. I'd say your lights aren't strong enough for hammers in my opinion.

****, maybe I need to rethink my lighting then.

Back
Top Bottom