Smallest species of moray eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did the eel need a filter?

If It doesn't need a filter then what other fish can I get that don't need one? Haha
Money is precious to me believe it or not :O Maccas doesn't pay very much haha but ill do everything I can to get that eel!

Lol. Learned something new today. Googled maccas!

I think a trigger might be ok. I'd be more worried about the trigger giving the eel a hard time. They do need good water, so I think a filter is in order or at the very least a decent hang on back protein skimmer and routine water change.

If you like the Picasso, take a gander at the Assasi (AKA Arabian Picasso). It's like a Huma Huma Picasso, only cooler. Bigger snout, more vibrant color, and gets bigger faster. Huma Humas are slowwwwww growers.

Arabian Picasso Trigger Fish (Rhinecanthus assasi) - photo

What are the beat tank mates I could have with the eel?
Without the filter an with the protein skimmers?im not planning on feeding live foods to the eel except for the damsels in the beginning :)

Well, I guess it depends on the tenacity of the eel. But in general, anything that seems small enough to be eaten (bite size) will be eaten during a midnight murrauding.

You want to keep your eel well fed.

Some fish to consider

Large angels -- purchase at a good size to start with 6" or more
Squirrel Fish
Big Rabbit Fish
Less Agressive Triggers (Niger, Blue throat, Pink Tail, Etc)
Larger Puffers (Mappa or Porcupine)
Harlequin Tuskfish
Miniatus or Panther Grouper (I prefer the Miniatus for its color)
Bigger Tangs like a decent sized Hippo Tang

You get the idea. 200 gallons is a good deal of real estate to start with. Providing a decent amount of rock (cover) and feeding routinely will keep an eel satisfied and reduce the chance of chowing down on a tank mate. Getting fish that are tough, big, or have a built in defense mechanism like a puffer allows you to build a community around an eel.

I have a snowflake and he is cool. I don't really see him much until he is hungry. I have a foxface, trigger, and a few damsels. I also have an angel, but my tanks is 93 gallon. I love my trigger....he will come and eat the eels shrimp off of the tongs. Very nice. Good Luck!!!

I'm thinking :/

How would this do?
2 Picasso triggers
2 scorpion leaf fish
And Ofcorse the eel!

One trigger? XP

yes, although I think the planktavore triggers would be a better call as mentioned. I too, once loved the piccasso, but after seeing the way nigers gracefully swim around a tank and change colors, they became my favorite.

My Niger Trigger is great....I hear when they are mature the teeth are red. He does not bother anything in my tank.

Haha it's just not as pretty! Haha I guess if I won't have troubles with it will have to do XP
Or I may just change to angels!
I'm so desperate for this tank! I'm trying to get money for it but its so hard! Lol

I have lots of live rock, live sand, wet/dry trickle filter, diablo protein skimmer, and a refugium.(sump) I also have a 65 gallon with a canister filter. I keep checking craigs list to find a sump for it and I will switch it out. I think the sump is so much easier.

I really have no clue what a sump is! Haha my tank will fit EXACTLY against a wall and it has a cabinet

I really have no clue what a sump is! Haha my tank will fit EXACTLY against a wall and it has a cabinet

a sump typically sits under your tank. It adds more water volume to the system and gives you a place to hide all of your equipment. Water drains from the main tank to the sump and a return pump placed in the sump pushes the water back into the main tank.

More accurately, it contains filters. Usually contains the skimmer, heater, and other filtration equipment. Mine contains about five extra pounds of rock (small pieces), a deep sand bed, and macro algae.

So it's like a filter?

Well more water= more fish because you can handle a higher bioload. Your tank looks better because the heater, filter sock, and skimmer can all go in the sump. You can also add a refugium and grow macroalgae which helps to reduce nitrates and phosphates. Also gives you more oxygenated water because of the constant flow.

Is this expensive to set up? And will I be able to set it up myself!

Kinda, I just built a 75g sump here are some of my costs:

5 Pieces of glass from glass shop- $70
Return pump from lfs- $70
Aquarium itself used off Craigslist- $100 (sold stand for $50)
Misc plumbing & aquarium sealant - $50
Overflow kit with bulkheads box and diamond hole bit- $55 off eBay
Sand-$25
Will diy an led refugium light -$50
Also will diy an algae turf scrubber- $20
Would like to add an automatic top off-$?

Back
Top Bottom