Smallest species of moray eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I REALLY love the look of Moray eels but my tank is only a 67 gallon :/ I want the smallest kind of eel I can get so it can live happily in the tank :)
And if its possible to get 2 in there I would be willing to not get ANY other fish in there :)

I REALLY love the look of Moray eels but my tank is only a 67 gallon :/ I want the smallest kind of eel I can get so it can live happily in the tank :)
And if its possible to get 2 in there I would be willing to not get ANY other fish in there :)

agree with snowflake being a good choice. I wouldn't do two eels.
If it were me I would do snowflake eel, flame angel, dwarf fuzzy lion, and possibly a hawkfish or something along those lines. There are plenty of options though.

Your tank is an ideal size for a single snowflake. They can be a bit cannibalistic so I'd only get one.
You will need a tight fitting lid. And probably weights or clamps. They're very strong and WILL find any hole large enough to wriggle through. They seem to enjoy carpet surfing despite how bad it is for them.
But definitely cool fish!

Your tank is an ideal size for a single snowflake. They can be a bit cannibalistic so I'd only get one.
You will need a tight fitting lid. And probably weights or clamps. They're very strong and WILL find any hole large enough to wriggle through. They seem to enjoy carpet surfing despite how bad it is for them.
But definitely cool fish!

Yes many people speak of them escaping, being dried and dead looking on the floor for up to 14 hours, and after putting them back in the tank they "come back to life"

Haha well iv just been looking around and I'm going to get a 200gallon instead!
Woohoo! Has anyone had luck with breeding these?

Haha well iv just been looking around and I'm going to get a 200gallon instead!
Woohoo! Has anyone had luck with breeding these?

well, thats quite a change of pace. Personally I would go with a bigger species in a 200 (depending what your goals are), but to each his/her own!

Wow! I love the honeycomb! Sooooooo I can't get two? :D haha

Hmm would I be able to get other fish?

I have seen them housed with triggers, some groupers, lions, etc. How it works out long term, I honestly couldn't tell you. You may want to check out Keeping Moray eels in aquariums by Phillip Purser.

Back
Top Bottom