Smallest species of moray eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So should I keep my 67 gallon tank and use is as a sump or will I need to build mine?

40 breeders are nice and roomy. Petco usually has a dollar a gallon tank sales rolling around this time of year.

67? What are the dimensions?

Use the largest tank you can fit under the stand AND afford. Lol
There are dozens of sites explaining how a sump functions and diagrams for building them. There are dozens of threads on here with diagrams and step by step build processes.
But I'll throw the basics in here. Some else posted a price breakdown, and that should give you an idea.
Water will flow from the main tank down. If the tank is not drilled and sump ready, you will need either to drill it or install a hang on the back overflow box. Drilling is tedious and time consuming, but the results are cleaner and slightly more reliable. Overflow boxes (eheim makes a good one. It's what I use) work just fine but you'll need to make sure the flow rate is high enough to avoid air bubbles accumulating and breaking the siphon.
From there, the water enters the sump, which should be divided into four areas. Inlet, main chamber (I have a refugium in my main chamber), bubble trap, and return.
Using glass panes(baffles) and silicone, the tank is divided into these sections. The height of the baffles will determine the sump water level.
Inlet chamber does not need to be large. Simply an empty section for water to flow in. Main chamber is usually where all the equipment goes so its larger. I have my skimmer and heater in the inlet though, so my main chamber is about a foot wide and has a six inch sand bed. After that, you'll want three baffles close together. One set against the bottom of the tank (water spills over the top), one set an inch up (water flows underneath), and a third positioned like the first but usually shorter. These three trap bubbles and keep the pump from shooting them into the main tank. The remaining area after the bubble trap is the return section, where a pump pushes water back up into the main tank.

Uhm.... Lol ill pretend I understood most of that XS Haha I have a friend that's good with tanks and stuff so he may know how to build a sump but ill have to say sorry for the fight we had haha I'm not a sorry person 0.0

I asked him if I could fit a sump in there and he said all the cupboards in the cabinet have their own slots so I could fit a 1ft tank in each lol

I know I'm a little late but I just wanted to add that I am selling a golden dwarf moray eel and a chestnut moray eel, both only grow up to 12 inches and are fairly rare.

I googled them and they both look very nice but I think my heart is set on the Hawaiian dragon moray or I just saw a ribbon moray <3

Yeaaaaaah lol cheapest one I saw was $600 didnt ship to Australia -.-'

My LFS has really nice eels! I remember they were really pretty but last time I went there I didn't even know I was interested in saltwater haha

Haha didn't think too much about that XP

I just found out my filter that I have now is actually a the perfect size for a 200 gallon and mines in a 67 lol

My lfs had a hawaiian dragon eel. It sold at $775, and i heard that they have something in their saliva that is a blood thinner, and if u get attacked by one, u will bleed alot.
Also the guy( very knowlegable) told me someone at a store he worked at put his hand in the tank, and was attacked, and the man walked out of the store with a blood trail behind him.

My lfs had a hawaiian dragon eel. It sold at $775, and i heard that they have something in their saliva that is a blood thinner, and if u get attacked by one, u will bleed alot.
Also the guy( very knowlegable) told me someone at a store he worked at put his hand in the tank, and was attacked, and the man walked out of the store with a blood trail behind him.

hmmm i've never heard this, but lots of members deal with venomous fish here. The key is just being careful.

Fish do not act out of malice. Just keep it well fed and make sure it is accustomed to your presence and not threatened. Eels are pretty smart and personable.

Seriously, just get a typical snowflake or golden dwarf (Gymnothorax melatremus) or a white ribbon eel (Pseudechidna brummeri). These will remain relatively small and peaceful. Green moray (Gymnothorax funebris) are powerful, large, and voracious...don't bother (need at least a 500g+). Dragon morays are smaller versions of green morays, but still require at least 125g+ annd will likely eat any fish species inntroduced; They are predators, it's kinda what they do ;) As far as venom, many eel species tend to carry ciguatoxin and maitotoxin due to their wild diet; however, I'd be more concerned with the excessive mucous accumulation produced by these animals otherwise known as ichthyotoxins and crinotoxins. Of course, you then have to consider the likelihood that any large eel ill handled can and will shred flesh along with causing massive secondary bacterial issues such as Vibrio and Mycobacterium. Food for thought with large eels in confined spaces ;)

I really want to have my go at trying to breed them :S
I think I want to try and go with the ribbon eels :/

Back
Top Bottom