Tank size for blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkblades

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I'm new to the hobby but always had a desire to have a saltwater aquarium. I recently purchased a 120 gallon 24x24x48 glass aquarium. It is custom built with a dual rear overflow. 40 gallon sump tank with live rock, 25 watt uv sterilizer, and a 200 gallon protein skimmer. Maybe to much info but wanted to give a good picture.
My son is 2 and if I have my aquarium without a blue tang he is gonna have a fit. I have read they need 180 gallons. My question is with my dimensions can I provide a stable environment for a blue tang. Thanks for any and all help.

Thanks for your opinion. Enough said for me. I want a healthy habitat. Is there any fish that resemble a blue tang that could work to fool him?

There are some other type of tangs that could work in your tank, just tell him it's Dory's brother. Lol :) blue reef chromis are beautiful, you could get a small school of them. There are some gorgeous SW fish, go to liveaquaria.com and show him some pictures of some fish after you've researched which ones will work in your tank. Personally, I only go with fish that say "peaceful" about their temperament Because I don't want any killing or bullying in my tank, but some people love the predators. To each his own, I guess. Have fun looking at all the pretty fish!! :)

Yeah he is young enough I think I can pull it off with yellowfin damsels.

Damsels are very aggressive, have killed fish much bigger than they are, and are fast as all get out, so you'll never catch them to get them out. I avoid all damsels, except chromis and clowns- which are generally peaceful. But that's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom