Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Been a little while since any action on this tank, as I'm still putting together all the pieces for this build and am still undecided on a couple things. The sump is finished but I need plumbing. My Reef Octo has arrived at my LFS today and is waiting to be picked up. Also, I don't know if I want to upgrade to LED before I set the tank up, or wait until down the road...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

My predicament and any help would be appreciated:

My 55 gallon is where my new 75 will sit. I am doing hardwood floors next weekend in that same room. I will need to move the 55 to the next room, while i do hardwood floors, and then will set up my 75 gallon and when it's ready do the transfer.

Here's my question- to avoid a very difficult 55 move to another room, I am going to buy a 40 breeder to set up and then transfer the 55 to the 40. Since I don't want to bring the sand over with it, is there any harm in running the 40 bare bottom with all my live rock? I obviously intend on keeping an eye on ammonia in case of a spike, but will my live rock efficiently convert without the sandbed?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was told by a ton of people to not rinse your live sand. I did not rinse my live sand. I just drained my old tank down after I took out my live rock and put into a 18 gallon bucket of my old tank water. I hooked up my filter to the bucket to keep the Bactria on the filter going being it took me 2 hours to move everything. I put each of my fish in their own individual one gallon tubs (With old tank water) and covered with a blanket for total darkness.

I than moved the new tank into place. I added new (None live sand), and put the live sand over the top. I fist vacuumed the top of the old sand to get a-lot of the crap off the top, and I also stirred it up to make sure there was no trapped gases. I had 60 pounds of live sand, and I think I vacuumed up 10 pounds at least.

It's been a week and no issues. In fact I would say it's like nothing has happened. I am still testing and making sure everything is fine. Tomorrow is a water change. I think not killing all my live sand was a bonus as it helps keep the tank solid.

Save as much as your told tank water as you can, and transfer into your new tank.

Also if it's just a temp tank to hold your fish in for a few weeks, I think you should be fine with bar bottom tank. A lot of people do not have sand in their tanks and do just fine. Just make sure the water is good for your fish while they are in the tank and they should be ok.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think it depends on the age of the sand bed. A tank that's a year old or more, with a substantial sand bed is a scary thing to me.
As for the 55/40 idea, in theory it should work. I would rather drain it about half way and simply slide the tank right out of the room. It's not going to be very heavy at that point.
I've drained a 125 and slid it out from the wall about 2 feet to get a sump in the stand and it wasn't too much trouble.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe what I posted was a bit convoluted? This is what my plan is...

Drain the 55 and put the fish in buckets, fill up the 40, move over the live rock and then the fish. The sand will NOT be transferred. Will the live rock from the 55 have issues converting ammonia without the help of the sandbed?

Thanks for everyone's help as always!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Your idea should work.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry Mr X and Baron! I re-read your posts and apparently I missed the details the first time. Thank you! I'll let you know how it turns out...
Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Your idea should work.
Thanks! Tank is less than a year btw...
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mr. X has helped me a lot. Anything he says you should do. :-p

Good luck with the move, and have fun. I upgraded from a 29 to a 55. It was suppose to be cheap, but wasn't. :-p The stand alone was more expensive than anything. I had it custom made so I could put my Sump in there one day. I have a regular filter right now a Fluval 206. It's a great filter, but I have to clean it every week to keep Nitrates down.

Post some pics of your new 75 when your done!! You can catch some pics of my new 55 on my build thread.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

I decided not to get a new 40 gallon, and just drained the tank, removed most of the rock, and moved the 55 into the other room while we put down our new floors next weekend, and then I will be able to set up the 75 while the 55 is still
running and then transfer over the fish and rocks.

The aqua scape now looks nothing like it did, at least it's not permanent! It looks like garbage lol... The bad news is that I lost my coral banded shrimp 8-( I have no idea how it happened, he was hiding behind a rock, and I went to net him and no movement... The only thing I can think of is a rock may have crushed him that I didn't notice for some reason?? I was really careful removing the rock and don't recall one being close to him.... I guess it could have been worse, and I'll chalk it up to a win in terms of my first transfer!

I'm one step closer to setting this 75 up and I'm getting excited about the sump, new skimmer, and the extra 5" of depth...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-483392152.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	167568

Tags
tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com