Tank upgrade!! 8-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, it doesn't make any sense. All water is connected as one. Fast or slow, your skimmer is going to skim exactly the same amount, possibly less if the flow rate through the sump is less than the skimmer pump, but exactly the same otherwise.

I may have left out what is seemingly a significant bit of info, chime in if you will, and that is it was recommended to not have crazy amount of flow ABOVE what the skimmer is rated at... For example to not run sump flow at 900 gph when the skimmer will only do 200 gph... Is that more logical X? Or are you implying that regardless of so flow, a skimmer will still do its job? I'm trying to just get a fundamental understanding before I set everything up...

yes, I'm implying exactly that. Think about it...a container of dirty water flows into another and back....the water cleaner is cleaning at say....300gph (and it's not totally cleaning...it's still letting some DOC's back into the water column). If you have the water entering the container at 700 gph...why would it clean any less? It's still only drawing 300gph, no matter how much water is going by it.
Now, slow that flow to exactly 300 gph. It's still cleaning at exactly the same efficiency.
Dwell time in the sump Makes no difference....it's still only cleaning what it can clean, and the total dissolved solids are still the total dissolved solids, period.

The benefit of faster flow through the sump may be less detritus settling. Right now I have 1900gph running through mine, but my filter socks (two 7" socks) need to be changed out every 3 days because they are clogged with detritus. And bear in mind, I am using two 50 gallon stock tanks.

Oh wow thanks for the perspective on this X... So is it safe to assume (from what I've gathered here) that a higher sump flow rate than the skimmer rate won't make a difference, BUT you wouldn't want a lesser sump flow rate than the skimmer rate...?

My NWB I believe will do around 500 gph, and my Eheim return pump will go upwards of 600... Would it be best to crank the pump to highest setting?

Sorry if this is redundant, quite a confusing hobby...! Thank you btw X.

Yes...definitely not lower flow than the skimmer and what ever other components you have in the sump. Absolutely open that baby up all the way.

Yes...definitely not lower flow than the skimmer and what ever other components you have in the sump. Absolutely open that baby up all the way.

Ok cool will do. And that will begin to make me think about my next add-on of a GFO reactor. Which chamber do you usually add it to? There will be a fuge in the middle, with the "in" and "return" section to its sides... I was considering the MJ1200 with the BRS single reactor... Would this pump with the Eheim Compact + 2000 be ok with a 500 gph skimmer?

Isn't the mj1200 a little much for a GFO reactor? BTW, you can put that wherever you want.
I don't use them so I don't know, but was told just enough to tumble the surface.

Isn't the mj1200 a little much for a GFO reactor? BTW, you can put that wherever you want.
I don't use them so I don't know, but was told just enough to tumble the surface.

That's just what BRS recommends for a pump, but it does seem excessive. What would be an appropriate flow rate for a tumble? Wouldn't it be closer to the 50 gph most likely? And the reason I'm asking where it could go is because I would
like to just place the whole reactor in the water, and was hoping if there was room in the first chamber next to the sump it could go there...

the 1200 isn't 1200gph..it's only 295 FYI.
I was told an mj400 was sufficient.

Yea I'm aware it's not 1200 gph.. And cool on the 400, I'll look into it. Thanks again for your help with this round of questions... I feel like I'm actually making some progress on how I want to set it all up...

So I have 60 lbs of Aragamax Select sand, and had my LFS order another 30 lbs for me. They didn't order the Select, but ordered the Sugar sized. It doesn't appear that there is much of a size difference, but there definitely is a small difference. Question is, would it be ok to just mix this sand together, or should I return it and get the same size I have currently?

Current powerhead setup in my 55 gallon is 2 Koralia 1400 Evo's on a wave maker that switches every 3 mins. Considering either adding 2 more 1400's on the same wave maker, or possibly another wave maker to create the most random flow possible... Question is this:

With 4 1400's alternating, it will really only be running 2 at a time, which will yield 2800 gph of circulation. In a 75 gallon is 37 times volume. Is this an ideal amount?

If so, what would be the best way to set them up in the tank? Any good diagrams or recommendations? I know that an MP40 would
be ideal but I can't afford the $500 price tag, and I can add these 2 1400's with a wave maker for about $120.

Thanks.

It would depend on what you are going to be growing in the tank. If you want some SPS, I don't think that's too much for a 75, with all 4 running at once. I would probably have that flow even without sps.

It's fine to mix it together if you like the looks of both types.

On the sand note... This is very fine grain. Would a jawfish or yellow watchman be able to burrow successfully in this type of sand? Just curious to see if I could properly keep one, as I was under the impression they need some sort of rubble or shell fragments for the opening of their tunnel. Could be completely wrong here lol...??

I'm seeing quite a few YouTube videos with a single MP10 making waves in a 75 gallon... Any merit to this? I would much rather spend the extra money on one of these than 2 koralia's...

Ok thanks guys... Was just HOPING to evade the $500 price tag lol. But Ive learned from the past to buy the right equipment the first time lol.

Back
Top Bottom