Tell me what you think.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stuktothewall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gal tank that i have had for about 2 months. The first month I let the tank cycle and over the course of this last month I have added its current inhabitants:

2 Ocellaris Clowns
3 Cateye snails
2 Emerald crabs
1 Hermit crab
1 Chocolate Chip Star

There are 13 lbs live rock, a couple pieces of base rock, and 16 lbs of live sand.

During the first month while the tank was cycling, I watched as the ammonia and nitrite levels went up and came back down and I haven't seen a trace of either since. In this last month everything has been fantastic. Everybody in the tank seems very happy and enthusiastic about their new home & they get a 20% PWC every two weeks.

So what I have been wondering about is that I have never seen any amount of nitrates. Ideally you want to keep the nitrates as low as possible but to never see any amount seems strange.

What do you guys think?

I agree, seem odd... not unheard of... but odd

Maybe take a sample to lfs to double check. Not a biggie but it's nice to know where you are as a baseline

I agree, take in a sample and see what they come back with.
Other than that, it sounds good, my only concern would be the star in such a young tank and not having enough food to eat.

Thanks for the replies. I will take a sample to my lfs today as I am going anyways to pick up some more lr. As far as the starfish, he seems very happy and healthy, and man can he really move when he wants to.

Back
Top Bottom