Transporting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking into buying a used tank to save some money but was wondering how I would go about transporting the fish that are already there. If someone can please help me it would be appreciated. Thanks

I really don't know the best, or proper way of dong it. When I did it, I emptied about 75% of the water, put the media in a bag with the aquarium water, put the fish in bags and that was it.

What size tank do you have?

Hey :) I did this about to weeks ago with a 40 gallon tank and this tank already had 3 fish in there 1 common pleco, 1 large rainbow shark and one Chinese algae eater. I didn't lose any :) here's a step by step guide on how to move it

1. Prepare, have at least 2/3 buckets on hand to hold subtrate, ornaments, plants etc etc. You will also need a large plastic bin so you can transport any fish.

2. Look at diameters and know where your tank needs to go straight away

3. Arrive on scene, fill one of the buckets up with water and start un planting and fill this bucket with them

4. Fill up your large bin and take your heater and filter and place these in this bin turned on, now capture the fish and place them in this bin, cover the lead (preferably with a damp towel)

5. Fill another bucket with water and keep this

6. Fill another bucket with water and then remove and place all substrate and ornaments into this bucket

7. Empty all further water from the tank in a drain

8. Unplug heater and filter but make sure you keep the filter wet in tank water so you dont lose any beneficial bacteria

9. Get home ASAP an plug your heater an filter back in so the fish feel comfortable

10. Just reverse these steps so fill tank with plants ornaments and substrate slowly adding the water collected in the buckets once all this is done add some warm dechlorinated water so it's roughly the right temp, put your heater and filter and whatever else into your tank then add fish and the water they were kept in and hey presto all done :)

Hope this helped :)

Make sure you have enough water mixed up to do water changes the next couple of days on your tank.

Do you plan on changing the substrate on the tank or vacuuming it well?

What kind of fish will you be getting with the tank?

The fish are LG blue hippo tang - LG yellow tang --- LG clown grouper--- LG Tomatoe clown --- LG croiss wrasse -- LG damsel -- Coral beauty. I copied it straight from the ad. If the sand is clean then I don't think I would clean it. The owner says the tank has been up and running for years so I would think that all the necessary bacteria would be there, correct? And it's actually a 100g.

With tangs stress can cause things like ich so keep an eye on them. You might want to read up on old tank syndrome before deciding about the sand.

The tangs can get easily stressed and can leave them suseptible to ich but ich cannot pop up out of nowhere due to stress. It is a parasite and needs to be introduced. Common misconseption.

It usually happens when a well establish tank gets new fish but something similar happens when a tank is moved chnging the sand helps. I usually clean it and replace part or most of it depending how long the tank has been up.

Back
Top Bottom