Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Water Supply

Good morning!

I have a quick question regarding water supply. I've check my local municiple website, and came up with the following water table:

http://www.nngov.com/waterworks/down...rqualityreport

Now, I live on a base, so I'll also be checking in to see if they have another filtration system for this base alone. I'll also be testing the water at the tap source to see how bad it reallyis. BUT, from reading the table, do you think I'd be able to use this water with a FOWLR. I got scared at the Copper" portion, but I'm just not knowledgable. Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Brad

Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

It should be ok for a FOWLR, but may present some algae issues down the road. I wouldn't worry about the copper unless you will be keeping inverts.

Welcome to AA!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the welcome! Down the road, as I look into turning this into a reef, and switching to RO/DI; I'm assuming over time I'd start doing the water changes little by little and puting in RO/DI and testing until everything seems perfect? Or what would you reccomend for the change down the road to RO/DI.

Also, I should use a dechlorinator for the tap water + FOWLR, correct?

Thanks again all!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, use dechlor. I'm a fan of Prime for our FW tanks.

Just a gradual switchout as you do PWCs should work I'd think. I've never switched though so hopefully someone has done it before and can confirm or deny that.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I guess I was just worried that even though I swapped over to RO?DI water that some traces of the old water would be left stuck to the glass/rocks. I'll try out the dechlor in the tap and mix some salt in and see how it goes. Any other imputs to the water anasis are welcome. Thanks all!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree that for a fish only tank, RO/DI isn't as critical. But just be aware that those yearly reports are just a snapshot in time. And they normally only list maximum levels encountered in the system as a whole (whenever they decide to test!) - they don't represent a true sample at your faucet. Point is, the actual parameters at your faucet can change week to week, season to season. Even if you personally had your own analysis done on your own tap water, there's no guarantee that it'd be the same next week. That's why I like the consistancy of RO/DI... it's the same pure water, day after day.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA and thank you for your Service to this Country. You are correct in that the trace elements of copper and other metals will build up in your rockwork. If the time frame between your FOWLR is long you will have trouble with keeping inverts and some corals. If you can get RO/DI water now to start your tank you will be in a much better position to have a sucessful reef tank in the future.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kurt, you type faster then me. LOL
Old 06-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Welcome to AA and thank you for your Service to this Country. You are correct in that the trace elements of copper and other metals will build up in your rockwork. If the time frame between your FOWLR is long you will have trouble with keeping inverts and some corals. If you can get RO/DI water now to start your tank you will be in a much better position to have a sucessful reef tank in the future.
What would you define as "long?" 2 months? More? I'm just curious; I know the general rule of the longer the worse, but I wouldn't imagine elements staking a claim under a few months period, but more so over a few years. But alas, the RO/DI will come soon enough
Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I guess that when you get the RO/DI unit will be soon enough. I got my unit from bulkreefsuppy.com and was real pleased with their service and the unit. I got the 4 stage unit. I am using it as I type. I also use it for drinking water. There is pro's and con's on using strickly RO/DI water for drinking, so I mix in a cup of tap water now and again.LOL

Tags
supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com