What fish to buy for a 20gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surjer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up my tank about a week ago and im still in my cycle. I am curious what kind of fish and other things should I add once the cycle is complete? I hear people talk about inverts and shrimp and all kinds of things. I have no idea what makes a sw tank complete. In my fw tank I always kept small ghost shrimp a small catfish and a pleco along with my schooling fish...

ANy suggestions would be appreciated...

This database has a search feature by tank size. Just pull up that page and you will see tank sizes (along with other search criteria) on the right.

Liveaquaria.com also has a listing of fish for a nano tank here

I would add to that list Firefish, purple Firefish, Yellow Clown Goby, Green Clown Goby, False Perc (Ocellaris Clown)...There are other options out there...you just need to understand that with a 20g tank you can't have a lot of fish in there...as for other additions a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is always a nice addition. Snails and hermits...

a great combo would be a false or true percula clown, sixline wrasse, and an orange firefish. thats what i have and couldn't be happier. they get along great, are some of the best looking fish, and are the least expensive. btw i would stay away from the clown gobies, all they do is hide.

I cant remember which thread I posted in but someone suggested getting some snails in the beginning. I think they said 10-15 snails? Am I remembering correctly?

After my tank is cycled I am going to add the O-Clown. Should I add 20 snails at that time? What kind of snails? What other kind of critters can I add other than fish>?

I like nassarius and cerith snails. Turbos are great also. You could add a cleaner shrimp, or even a fire shrimp. A hermit crab or more. Yup 10-15 would be a decent start and you can add more. It is best to keep the numbers down in a new tank due to the lack of food.

The nassis pretty much stay under the sand until they sense food in the water. You can start off with a smaller number and add more if needed.

Back
Top Bottom