What temp is good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering at what temp does everybody keep their tanks at? Mine is at about 78 degrees is that too cold or is that ok? I have a fowlr tank. Thanks! Sue

I think any temp between 78 and 82 is fine as long as whichever one you choose you keep it steady. (I don't mean temp should fluctuate from 78 to 82)

I'm usually around 80-81.

steady 80 here

why low? everything I have read says 72-78. Oceans dont get to above 80 so why should my tank?

i think if you are keeping corals, they like a little warmer water at around 80. If you are not keeping corals then you are probably okay.

mermaid

Actually, many parts of the ocean get above 80. You have to remember that when you see temperature readings for the ocean it is usually either off shore or at a certain depth. In the shallows of a reef, it can get up into the mid to high 80's. I know, I have gone diving in water that was this warm.

I have done alot of diving as well and I dont think I have ever been in water above 76, but yes the shallows where water does not circulate alot can get to above 80

I lived in the Vigin Islands for awhile and we had water in the upper 80's all the time in the shallower places. Belize got up to about 84 on the top of the reef during the summer too.

I just tweaked my tank a little bit, had it up around 82-83, but over the course of the last six weeks I have leveled it back out around 80-81. I had great results with the 82-83 range, however with summertime here and 800W of halides its just too great a risk for some external force to push it up into the mid 80s.

At the risk of being scolded, my tank never gets below 79 degrees. Usually it runs 85.5, sometimes 86. 4 96W compact flourescents, dsb, lots of LR, 75G.

My various fish, anemone, mushrooms, polyps, leathers, nepthia, brain, frogspawn, and various montipora are all doing very well. My frogspawn has tripled in size in the last two years and I've recently split it and taken one piece back to the LFS for credit.

-Yanek.

Back
Top Bottom