Hello, finally registered.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveChiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, my name is Steven. I went and bought a 29g tank a few days before Thanksgiving and set everything up. I had heard about cycling before from some vids but didn't really grasp the whole process, anyway a few days later I got some fishies and put them in (2 Tiger Barbs, 3 Silver Dollars, 2 mollies and 1 green cory, a week later I got 2 more mollies and 2 more corys). Well, sadly I lost half the fish I had (all mollies and 2 corys). I was so sad. :( but then I started reading up on why my fishies were dieing and I found this site! I now know what was going on with my tank and feel bad about losing those fishies. My tank is cycled now and I've added 3 more Tiger Barbs (the bigger one kept pecking at the smaller one) and 3 more corys. I did get a mystery snail at one point but the barbs kept pecking at him and he would never come out of his shell so I gave him to my roomie. He's doing much better there now always going all over the tank and he's getting big!

I now got a bigger tank for them (40g breeder) and I got another 10g I am cycling now. :D I plan on making the 29g a saltwater tank but Im not sure if I really wanna go into that yet. I'm in the process of building a stand for the 40g but the weather has been crappy lately here in San Antonio and don't have any room in the garage to be working with wood.

oh, I have a question... what would be the best way to move my fishies to the new 40g when it's ready? put the water I have in the 29g in the new tank and add new water? I know I'd put both filters on the new one. or should I just put completely new water and cycle it? thanks. :)

Welcome to the site! Are you remembering to let them adjust to your tank thing excuse the huge brain fart I can't think of what it's called. It's where you put the bags of new fishies into your tank let sit and then add tank water little by little .. process takes like 1hour.

When I switch in size with my bluegill I normally just .. add all new water, the stress coat , salt and what not let the tank sit for 24hrs then add my bluegill in. She has survived all three tank changes ..We also use only filtered water in her tanks. IDK maybe someone knows something better though?

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom