Hello, New Member Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to ask what color is ur gravel it looks similar to what I have like acarribean blue and black mixed together

kr8zykelley said:
I think the one I looked at was a little smaller then yours I cant remember where I saw it cool they pre soak it! yeah Ill let u know they dont ship plants until monday so prob wont get them til wed I am thinking he said he had a good big water sprite hope he sends me that!! I getting everything ready to get red cherry shrimp but want to get some over on the bottom for them so that they can hide and stuff

I love cherry shrimp, but I think with my potential stocking list, they will all get eaten. The only shrimp that will work I believe are the amano shrimp. I know I want some java fern, anubias, hornwort, amazon swords, and some dwarf sag for the foreground of my tank. I'm sure ill end up re-doing my tank too, once I start to add more plants. If you want the website to where I got my driftwood, let me know. They also sell what they call "centerpiece" pieces of wood, as well a small bundles of wood.

kr8zykelley said:
I forgot to ask what color is ur gravel it looks similar to what I have like acarribean blue and black mixed together

My gravel is actually a mixture of some colored gravel which was blue and green, then another bag which contained all the bright colors you see, then I bought a bag of just black gravel, and there's also a bag of FloraMax plant substrate in there. If I could start over again, I would've went dirt at bottom, and black gravel on top.

yeah!! what is that site I would like to check them out.. I was talkin w retired AF on here and gave him whats in my tank and what I might add and he said it should be fine so I hope I think they are so cool I was going to get ghost shrimp but the life span is so short so I wanted something it might last

kr8zykelley said:
yeah!! what is that site I would like to check them out.. I was talkin w retired AF on here and gave him whats in my tank and what I might add and he said it should be fine so I hope I think they are so cool I was going to get ghost shrimp but the life span is so short so I wanted something it might last

The website is aquariumdriftwood.com. The guy, Andy, is really nice and great with communication. What types of fish do you have in your tank, and what are you planning on getting?

cool thanks-- Right now I have 3 fancy tails guppies 1 male and 2 females, 5 black neons thats it... I want to get 5-6 reg neons on the next trip my oldest daughter wants them so bad so I think thats what we will get I wait 14 days between adding new fish to the tank so the bio-load has time to catch up... So we added the BN on jan 23rd... So no new neons until at least feb 9th

I am a 40+ year vetran of the freshwater aquarium hobby, but a relative newcomer to the reef hobby. We raise angle fish and corydoras cats on a small scale, also various livebearers.

catskinner said:
I am a 40+ year vetran of the freshwater aquarium hobby, but a relative newcomer to the reef hobby. We raise angle fish and corydoras cats on a small scale, also various livebearers.

hello, and welcome to my thread! Thank you for your post, just another veteran I can count on if I ever need any help or advice =)

Mumma.of.two said:
With the plants you are planning I'd upgrade the lighting ASAP. I have a single t8 over a 17g and it only grows moss and java fern. It's a foot tall tank.

Ok, I will make sure I don't add too many plants before upgrading my lights. What do you suggest I can add with my current lighting? Also, any recommendation on what kind of lighting I should get?

UPDATE: came home to see all my fish still alive and well. They are all on their own exploring by themselves! How long should I keep the lights on for? Right now I have them running on an 8 hr cycle, on at 12pm and off at 8pm. Also, any idea how much time I should wait between feedings if fed twice a day? Thanks for the help!

scottb said:
Ok, I will make sure I don't add too many plants before upgrading my lights. What do you suggest I can add with my current lighting? Also, any recommendation on what kind of lighting I should get?

UPDATE: came home to see all my fish still alive and well. They are all on their own exploring by themselves! How long should I keep the lights on for? Right now I have them running on an 8 hr cycle, on at 12pm and off at 8pm. Also, any idea how much time I should wait between feedings if fed twice a day? Thanks for the help!

T5ho are the way to go. I think a 2 light fixture should do the job. I'm no lighting expert though. :) Start out with moss, anubia and java fern. They should do ok under a t8. Try eBay for cheap fixtures. 8 hours is fine. :)
What kind of bulb does the t8 fixture have?

If you feed twice a day feed very small amounts. They are small fish so they won't need much. Personally I prefer to feed once a day. It's also recommended to fast one day a week. It allows the fish to scavenge for left over food and digest what they have in their intestines helping to prevent constipation.

Mumma.of.two said:
T5ho are the way to go. I think a 2 light fixture should do the job. I'm no lighting expert though. :) Start out with moss, anubia and java fern. They should do ok under a t8. Try eBay for cheap fixtures. 8 hours is fine. :)
What kind of bulb does the t8 fixture have?

If you feed twice a day feed very small amounts. They are small fish so they won't need much. Personally I prefer to feed once a day. It's also recommended to fast one day a week. It allows the fish to scavenge for left over food and digest what they have in their intestines helping to prevent constipation.

The T8 bulb has a Coralife 50/50 bulb. It's 50% 10,000k daylight and 50% actinic blue light. It's a 17W bulb. I saw some fixtures for under $100 online, but I didn't see how much the shipping was. Do you think I'm pushing it if I leave the lights on for 10hrs per day? Anubia will most likely be my next plant purchase, or some more jungle vals to fill out the spot I already have going. Also, I will change their feeding schedule to once a day. My ammonia levels read 0.25 - 0.5ppm. Kind of hard to tell, when the colors seem so close. I will check my water again tonight, and do a necessary wc if needed.

QUESTION: I bought some Omega One freeze dried brine shrimp, but I didn't refrigerate them, because there were no instructions stating to do so. Will they go bad? Also, I would love to feed them live brine shrimp and bloodworms on occasion, as a treat. Any idea where I can find/purchase any? Do you feed your fish any live bait?

scottb said:
The T8 bulb has a Coralife 50/50 bulb. It's 50% 10,000k daylight and 50% actinic blue light. It's a 17W bulb. I saw some fixtures for under $100 online, but I didn't see how much the shipping was. Do you think I'm pushing it if I leave the lights on for 10hrs per day? Anubia will most likely be my next plant purchase, or some more jungle vals to fill out the spot I already have going. Also, I will change their feeding schedule to once a day. My ammonia levels read 0.25 - 0.5ppm. Kind of hard to tell, when the colors seem so close. I will check my water again tonight, and do a necessary wc if needed.

QUESTION: I bought some Omega One freeze dried brine shrimp, but I didn't refrigerate them, because there were no instructions stating to do so. Will they go bad? Also, I would love to feed them live brine shrimp and bloodworms on occasion, as a treat. Any idea where I can find/purchase any? Do you feed your fish any live bait?

You can leave them on 10hours if you like. If you start getting algae (not diatoms that will happen anyway - brown dust) you can cut it back again. I actually leave my lights on 13-14 hours a day. One of my tanks get close to 16! Am I asking for trouble? Probably!! Lol.
Freeze dried food can be kept on the shelf. I good idea is to soak it in some tank water before you give it to your fish. Helps prevent constipation that sometimes freeze dried causes. Try eBay for brine shrimp. Where to find live food might be a question for someone on your side of the pond :) It's recommended to raise your own so you know there's not nasties in it. Most fish don't NEED live food but you can feed it as a treat. I occasionally feed mine frozen brine shrimp or blood worms. They also like blanched, deshelled peas.

Glad you joined us here at AA :) Would love to see pictures of your tanks when you get a chance to upload some :D

Mumma.of.two said:
You can leave them on 10hours if you like. If you start getting algae (not diatoms that will happen anyway - brown dust) you can cut it back again. I actually leave my lights on 13-14 hours a day. One of my tanks get close to 16! Am I asking for trouble? Probably!! Lol.
Freeze dried food can be kept on the shelf. I good idea is to soak it in some tank water before you give it to your fish. Helps prevent constipation that sometimes freeze dried causes. Try eBay for brine shrimp. Where to find live food might be a question for someone on your side of the pond :) It's recommended to raise your own so you know there's not nasties in it. Most fish don't NEED live food but you can feed it as a treat. I occasionally feed mine frozen brine shrimp or blood worms. They also like blanched, deshelled peas.

What type of light fixture(s) do you have? Any suggestions on which fixture to purchase, or which bulbs I should be looking for in a two bulb fixture? Also, if my current fixtures housing is 30" with a 24" bulb, I should purchase a 30" fixture right, NOT a 24"?

scottb said:
What type of light fixture(s) do you have? Any suggestions on which fixture to purchase, or which bulbs I should be looking for in a two bulb fixture? Also, if my current fixtures housing is 30" with a 24" bulb, I should purchase a 30" fixture right, NOT a 24"?

My 70g has a 4 bulb t5ho fixture but I only run 2x 10000K bulbs. My 26g has 2x t8 6500k bulbs. My 17g has 1x t8 6500k bulb. All being low light. The 17g very low light. The others have cfl 6700K.
6500-6700K is 'daylight' so that grows plants the best IMO. Anything over 5000K usually will. If you have 24" bulbs then you get a 24" fixture - that's what they will call it.
I don't know any fixture names. Mine are all no name knock offs. :) I know enough about lighting to grow my own plants but not enough to IMO recommend anything much. Maybe start a thread in the hardware section. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
My 70g has a 4 bulb t5ho fixture but I only run 2x 10000K bulbs. My 26g has 2x t8 6500k bulbs. My 17g has 1x t8 6500k bulb. All being low light. The 17g very low light. The others have cfl 6700K.
6500-6700K is 'daylight' so that grows plants the best IMO. Anything over 5000K usually will. If you have 24" bulbs then you get a 24" fixture - that's what they will call it.
I don't know any fixture names. Mine are all no name knock offs. :) I know enough about lighting to grow my own plants but not enough to IMO recommend anything much. Maybe start a thread in the hardware section. :)

Thanks! I'll have to do some more research before deciding on a fixture. Maybe I'll post my top 3 or so later on for suggestions =)

Back
Top Bottom