Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mumma - I know that my LFS has them in stock but I'm not sure if they're locally bred or shipped in, I'll have to call them and ask about that, and for their water levels. I know people have successfully kept them in higher ph and hard water tanks, guess it just depends on the fish itself. I'll have to try and search for that thread as well. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hey scott

yes i cycled w fish i did alot of research before going this route including lookin here this forum--most info i got stated that cycling with a hardy fish is really the only way to get it going and fast. I chose fancy tail guppies. We got 3 back in nov to start our 10g tank, I transfered them to the 36g in the begin of jan. now i did have the tanks going for 3 days before i out the fish in. on jan 23 I added 5 black neons. Everyone is doing really well no issues at all. I do partical water chances 25% every week. I am debating about switching the lights to but not sure what to get and what size these lights are on the bf. yes I bought a backing from petco had a gc it has green plants and driftwood I just taped it on the back w packing tape as for some reason the reg tape wouldnt stay lol. I do have a bubbler its a volcanoe which is why i just stayed with the ac filter. between the two the tank is gettin excellent oxygen and water circulation. Like I said I am waiting on my riccia fluitans and water sprite for the bottom of the tank so i can get it going to we can get some shrimp!! I do not plan on adding more fish until feb 3-- I wait almost 3 weeks inbetween adding new fish. This is way it gives the bioload time to catch up. Dont know if any of this will help but I hope it does

Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Freak

kr8zykelley - you are fortunate that all your fish survived the cycle. Having some seeded material probably did wonders though, sucks I don't have anyone I can get some from =(. Originally I bought 4 Giant Danios from my LFS, per recommendation that they were very hearty fish. Unfortunately, two of them died the next morning, and the other two didn't make it much longer. Due to this, I have chosen to go the fishless route. Do you remember what the size was that you got your backing cut to? I'm sure I can just go to PetsMart or something and point out my tank and have them measure it for me haha. As far as the size for the lighting goes, the bulb is a 24" bulb, but the housing for it is 30". I read that Coralife makes either a single, or dual bulb light fixture, either as a T5 fluorescent, or a T5HO that fits the Aqueon BF. I know someone had pictures of it too, but can't remember where I found it at the moment. Try searching on here, I'm sure you can find some threads specific to our tanks and their lighting. Good luck and let me know if/when you decide what lights you are going to replace the stock one with and I'll be sure to post a link to the information I found last time, if I can find it again lol.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #84

ok I think I went by the dim on the tank info it was something like 18 x 36 for the background i did have to trim it a little but no biggie! Right now Im just using the lights that came w it so I would like to change that down the line when I have better cash flow lol yes I used some of my seeded material from my 10g like one of my mondo grasses and I took some of the filter from the 10g and put it in the new filter ( as well as dipped the new filter in old aq water from the 10g when I did a water change) then put it in the 36 this way there was something to start from thats also why I waited 3 days after I had set it up when I put the seeded media in there before I trans the guppies try to make the transistion as easy as poss, I waited 3 weeks before I added the BN and it wil be another 3 weeks before we add reg neons.... i hope my order of plants from petswarehouse gets figured out on monday so I can get them in the tank to get going for shrimp!!! yahooo I want RCS might have to order those online to but they r exp onine well see
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Hi Kelley! Welcome to the site. Just wanted to let you know mondo grass is a terrestrial plant and will eventually die and root in your tank. Riccia requires high light if it's going to be fastened down low in the tank. I'd suggest java moss for shrimp in a low light set up.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #86

hey mummaof2

I have had the mondo grass the whole time and havent had a single issue with it its alive and well and grownin like crazy!! I will tell you that the mondo grass at first wil turn brown then it kindof "molts" once it goes through that its good to go! I looked up the java moss but I am afraid it will take over the whole tank and I dont want that to happen from what I understand riccia will do well in either high or low light and yes I have rocks that I will tie it down with using hair nets ( saw that tech on another fish forum thank u for the advice-- i think plants do differently in different tanks u know b/c I see where people have problems with one plant but someone else will do fine with it-- I think its like a "have to take a chance" with it and see what happens u know So I have bene tryin to find the best thing for the bottom of the tank for shrimp I heard water wisteria was good as well and does well in both high and low light and shrimp like that to so I ordered that as well once again we shall see u know
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Java moss won't take over. I have it in most of my tanks. All it needs is a trim every couple of months. IME riccia makes a mess. As it multiplies it releases bits all over the top of the tank. I have tried the hairnet technique and it works well but bits still get everywhere.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #88

see ive heard the same about java moss that it will seperate and peices will be all over the tank lol
Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #89
Aquarium Advice Freak

kelley - have you had past experience with petswarehouse? I want to buy some amazon swords, but the ones at my LFS seem unhealthy. Also, do they have a minimum purchase amount for orders? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #90

hey scott

This is my exp w petswarehouse:

I placed my first order with them this past fri. I ordered 2 plants. There ystsem when placing my cc said my info didnt match and it couldnt take my order. So I cleared my browser and tried again same thing. I did it one more time no luck. So about an hr later I email an email from them stating I didnt finish my order. I send a message about the order no response. I checked my bank account and I was charged 3 times for the order that supposely didnt go through. I sent another emailing explaining.. no response. I finally called the reatil store on sat to find out the internet dept is closed on the weekends. As of right now I still do not have a response from them. I would say there customer service sucks hard core. When I spoke with the girl on sat at the retail location she wasnt very nice either. So if this order does go through although they have good pricing I will never use them again. Ill let u know when I get the plants how they look if u want to try its up 2 u

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com