Hello, New Member Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vinniefrio - I sent you a PM
Scott - hows everything going? Decided on a light yet?

Thanks for checking up! So far everything seems to be going very smoothly. My fish are all alive and well. They are more active everyday (y). Yesterday I actually saw 2 of them trying to mate, but the others constantly bothered them. For all I know though, it could've been a success. I believe I have 2F and 3M, or vice versa. You can see the difference in two of their colors, and they're fatter than the other three.

As far as the lights, I have decided to go with an FNI fixture. I am still debating on whether to purchase a 24" (actually measures 23.25" in length) or a 30" fixture. If the 30" takes the standard 24" T5HO bulb, then I will go with that one, since my tank measures 31", we'll just say 30" in length (more coverage with the lights I assume). Either way, I plan to change the bulbs, since they only offer either blue actinic, or 10000k or 20000k white bulb.

Here are the two fixtures, just in case you wanted to see them again.

The 24 inch fixture:
2F/2Bulbs fixtures

30 inch fixture
30in 2Bulbs fixtures

UPDATE: I did some research and found that the 30" fixture at FNI does take the standard 24" bulb!! YAY! I emailed Simon from FNI, but he has yet to get back to me...

UPDATE: spoke with Simon from FNI, and decided to purchase their 24" 2 bulb T5HO fixture. I was seriously debating the 30", but if I wanted to use the legs, I wouldn't be able to with my hood. Guess I'll use the legs on the 24" and just simply place the light on top of my hood. Can't wait till I get it in!

Also, I purchased one more female Harlequin Rasbora. The main reason is because I currently have 2 females and 3 males, and the one lone male seemed lonely :nono:. I purchased the female from the same store I purchased the other 5, which are doing beautifully btw. And, it was from the same stock that my first 5 were from, so she should be healthy :D. I also saw some Endlers Livebearers, but they are just too **** small!

Oh, and one more thing, I purchased some BioMax Filter Inserts from AquaClear, and threw them behind my stock filter inserts for both my Aqueon filters. I plan to purchase a 10g tank, and use it as a QT tank, and will transfer my Aqueon QuietFlow 10 to that tank. I plan to replace the Aqueon with probably an AquaClear filter, once the 10g gets set up. Sound like a good idea?

Mumma.of.two said:
All sounds good! A QT is an excellent idea. Saves potentially infecting existing fish with disease.

Funny thing is, a QT tank never crossed my mind, until reading through the numerous threads here on AA. I will most likely hold off on the 10g until after my 36g is fully cycled though. I'm going pretty broke anyways with all the upgrades haha. But, I did find an AquaClear 50 for $25.52 on Amazon, including shipping! Or I could get the 70 for $10 more, but I feel that may be overdoing it. Nonetheless, pretty sweet deal, if I say so myself.

scottb said:
Funny thing is, a QT tank never crossed my mind, until reading through the numerous threads here on AA. I will most likely hold off on the 10g until after my 36g is fully cycled though. I'm going pretty broke anyways with all the upgrades haha. But, I did find an AquaClear 50 for $25.52 on Amazon, including shipping! Or I could get the 70 for $10 more, but I feel that may be overdoing it. Nonetheless, pretty sweet deal, if I say so myself.

Wow I'm jealous! I'm looking at a AC 70 for my goldfish tank and they go for $80-$110 here!!!

Mumma.of.two said:
Wow I'm jealous! I'm looking at a AC 70 for my goldfish tank and they go for $80-$110 here!!!

Oh dear god thats a joke. I can get it for 40 and ship it to you for less. But i have no idea how much shipping is.. Must be alot

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Oh dear god thats a joke. I can get it for 40 and ship it to you for less. But i have no idea how much shipping is.. Must be alot

I know. It's ridiculous!! Everything's so expensive here. A 500mL bottle of Prime is $40 or more!

Mumma.of.two said:
I know. It's ridiculous!! Everything's so expensive here. A 500mL bottle of Prime is $40 or more!

What?! Cant you just buy it online? Or get someone over here to buy your stuff and send it over?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
What?! Cant you just buy it online? Or get someone over here to buy your stuff and send it over?

That is online!! Lol. Shipping from America IME is $20-$40 or more depending what it is. I usually find bargains on eBay. Some people must ship in whole cartons of the stuff then sell it on. I'm still looking at filters. Going to see if I can find me a bargain! :)

Mumma.of.two said:
That is online!! Lol. Shipping from America IME is $20-$40 or more depending what it is. I usually find bargains on eBay. Some people must ship in whole cartons of the stuff then sell it on. I'm still looking at filters. Going to see if I can find me a bargain! :)

Wow..... Thats crazy! Goodluck with bargin hunting!!! I thought 40$ for a 70 was expensive.....

Mumma.of.two said:

WHAAAT!?!? That's outrageous. Not to rub it in or anything, but I'm getting a 500mL bottle of Prime for just under $13. If I lived out by you, I'd probably not get into this hobby for fear of going broke!

That's so weird because I order flea and tick meds for my dogs and they get shipped cheaper from Australia than from anywhere here. Go figure. Hey Mumma, maybe you could start importing on a large scale for yourself and other hobbyists to get cheaper stuff, haha. Maybe it could pay for your fish stuff.

scottb said:
WHAAAT!?!? That's outrageous. Not to rub it in or anything, but I'm getting a 500mL bottle of Prime for just under $13. If I lived out by you, I'd probably not get into this hobby for fear of going broke!

Haha! I'm surprised I'm not!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom