I am an Addict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyami

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am Dyami and I am an Addict. LOL. Just thought I would introduce myself. I am Dyami and I live in WV. I started into Aquariums quite a long time ago (freshwater 10gal), but got bored with those. Then several years ago, I started into Saltwater. I got hooked of course. I got a 55gal tank second hand and started it up. I mostly took my time like I was supposed to, and I maintained a few fish. But I made a lot of mistakes. I did some homework on what I was doing, but not enough and lost several fish. Then the bad part happened and I had to leave on military duty. My fish tank although it was supposed to be maintained for me of course didn't and everything died. My snowflake eal made it quite a while though.

Anyway, since I got back, I have set up the tank again and started over. I think I am doing better so far.

I have a 55gal display tank with a 30 gal sump. Homemade wet/dry filter system. I have an underpowered 50/50 actinic light that I know needs replaced. Thats about it. I have plenty of live rock and the tank has been running for about 6 months now.

The community consists of:
1 Domino Damsel
1 Blue Damsel
1 Zebra Damsel
1 Yellow Tang
1 Feather (brown and white)

Had:
Coral Beatuy RIP
Firetail Goby RIP

I don't have a test kit, and really haven't been too concerned with getting one. I just take water to the fish store and they test free there.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I have been reading forum after forum trying to decide on one to join and this was it. Everyone here had the best information, the best DIY stuff and the best format to put everything together. I actually found the forum several weeks ago and after reading many others, I had trouble finding it again. But I found ya again and registered.

So here I am, ready to learn more.
I will get some pictures and video as soon as I get batteries. I love LiPo batteries, but when they go dead they are done.

So a big thank you and pat on back from me on everyone here, because you do have the best forum and people.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! We're glad you found us!

Thanks for your kind words about the site :) You'll get all the help you need here!

Welcome to the site! Where are you in Wv? Some of us from MD, VA and Wv get together and go on trips to LFS in the area.

I am in Charleston, WV. I just got back from Alexandria, VA. I was there for a year, but I never got to explore any of the LFS there. No pets. But I do travel quite a bit, my job puts me all over the state. Every day is different.

Oh, Charleston is quite a hike from Charles Town. I moved up here from Fairfax, Va. I am a military brat so I know how it is.

Oh yeah, it is a little I have been to Charles Town. Nice Race track there. :)
Fortunatly my Military time is done so I get more free time now and that is very nice.

welcometoaa.gif

Thanks for the welcome.

I love the granite top btw, it took a while, but I made it through the 30 some odd page thread on your breakage. I think the granite is a great idea though.

I got this tank second hand that I am running now, and the guy I got it from (he had a basement full of aquariums) said that on the stand he built (and I am still using) that the only part of the aquarium that should touch is the four corners.

That's how mine has been since I got it many years ago and still is now. There are four acrylic shims on the corners and nothing else touches. Kinda leaves me??????

When I do a bigger tank (lost in daydream again), I may use a granite top just because it is already level and will support much weight.

I went with the granite because I wanted a perfectly flat surface, that and I know the granite isn't going to shrink or swell or move for that matter.

It is very nice here

It is very nice here, I moved here from southern Ohio and I liked enough to buy a house here and settle down.

There is quite a bit more business here than I ever imagined before I started working with company I work for now. But I love it, I get to travel everyday and meet new people. If he ever gets to come back to charleston and he likes fish tell him to stop in Nitro at JoMars Pet store.

I found them here earlier this week, and definatly the best fish place I have ever been into.

I am going to be starting a build (late) page here after I get the battery for my camera replaced. I had to order one but should be here next week.

I can't wait.

I am kicking myself for moving an anenome last night. It was extreley dark colored and small and I wanted to get a picture, but for some reason I felt it neccisary to move it from the sump where I found it to the main tank and I got it attached to a peice of rock. I placed it in the main tank and and five minutes later it was gone.

I don't think I have anything that would eat it, just a tand and a few damsels, but I didn't even get a great look at it because I was working on a new pump and trying to get flows right. My new sump pump out runs my syphon flow tube by a lot so I had to stop the pump and syphon and install the valve on the return pump to trim it back.

Adding that valve will put more back pressure on the pump. Can you replace the pump with one that matches your overflow output?

Instead of changing the pump I am going to add more overflow. I was very underpowerd on the return pump before. All I had was a MaxiJet 1200.

I am going to add another overflow so I can open the return pump back up.

I just have to do some math and find out how much J tube flows and add accordingly.

In all, this has actually given me the reason I need to rebuild the overflow tanks. I made them out of dollar store pitchers. They are small and don't allow enough flow anyway. They do work, but not as well as I would like and they definatly don't look the greatest. I have been doing this all a little peice at a time and haven't had much extra cash to do it. The tank is a frankenstein of sorts, but is getting better month by month. It is at least stable and does the job, but it has room for improvements.

I appreciate the concern and I know it isn't the greatest, but it is temporary and will not stay that way for more than a month.

BTW what is the best way to cut plexiglass?

Back
Top Bottom