I want to say hello and thank you.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Msanok

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

My name is Martin, I just got into this great hobby and I have been reading this forums for some time now. Today I decided to register so I can say hello and thank you for all great and usefully information that I was able to gather from this website. Like I said I'm just a beginer but already I decided to go with a no a usual fish.

Right now I have 10 Gallon Eclipse system with one Polypterus Ornatipinnis inside, he was about 5 inches when I got him and now is almost 8 inches and that in just 3 months. I now know that the tank size is way to small for my fish so I would love to see some recommendation on the tank and setup that I might consider for upgrade. I hate to see my fish lacking space.

Anyways Thanks for a lot of great info and I hope to write here more often.

Thanks,
Martin

It's maximum size is almost two feet, you will need a large tank,... VERY large.

also, Welcome!

Ummm...wow...geez, might have wanted to do a little more reading before jumping into that one. You might want to go and sell said fish now, cause your alternative is a huge upgrade. For a fish of that magnitude, I'd be thinking even a 75G might be too small. Personally, I'd feel guilty getting a 100G for him.

You know, there's nothing wrong with "usual" fish. There are some really nice looking tetras out there, that will fit your setup much better. perhaps some serpaes or buenos aries? With a 10G you're not looking for anything much over an inch I would think.

supermazz9 said:
Ummm...wow...geez, might have wanted to do a little more reading before jumping into that one. You might want to go and sell said fish now, cause your alternative is a huge upgrade. For a fish of that magnitude, I'd be thinking even a 75G might be too small. Personally, I'd feel guilty getting a 100G for him.

You know, there's nothing wrong with "usual" fish. There are some really nice looking tetras out there, that will fit your setup much better. perhaps some serpaes or buenos aries? With a 10G you're not looking for anything much over an inch I would think.

Thanks for input, the problem is not that I didn't get enough reading because I did but not after I got the fish and I was also advised that for some time this setup will be fine. But now I learned that the guy at the fish place was looking just into selling me the product. I know I will have to upgrade but before I do there is a lot of reading to do and researching. Thanks for advice on the tank size, I was looking into getting something between 75-100.

Thanks

Every day check the local classified ads and Craigslist. You may be able to pick up a tank that will fit him for a pretty good price. People are always failing at keeping fish and selling their equipment cheap.

Not a perfect solution, but you may get lucky and save some money (or even get a much bigger tank so you can have other fish).

Back
Top Bottom