Intro as New Forum Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbarnes49

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have had aquariums of one type or another off and on for about 30-35 years. My dad was big into tropical fish (all freshwater) and at one time did a lot of breeding and had around 50 tanks in his basement with an elaborate plumbing system tying them together (my mom was always complaining about the humidity that created!). My first 20 years I had a freshwater tank or two. but 10-12 years back I switched to saltwater, mostly fish only but I dabbled with some soft corals and reef stuff (not very successfully). I had a 55 gallon tank for close to 30 years and a couple of years ago it developed a leak and I got frustrated and decided to give it a break until I replaced the carpeting in the house. New carpeting is going in another week so I pulled out the tank to see if I could find the leak, and I thought I found it, but when I left it on my patio full of water overnight, the front panel of glass split from top to bottom. So it is time to upgrade! I have decided to get serious about building a reel tank. I found someone locally selling a relatively new 100 gallon tank and he is packaging a bunch of extras with the deal. I never had a sump before and I did not use RO/DI water so those are two changes I will be doing. I was using a hang on skimmer but will be upgrading that and will need to add better lighting too (probably LED from my research to date). The tank I am buying includes a sump with refugium. I have live rock from my last tank cycling and I am anxious to get the tank going, but I want to make sure that I stop and think things through a bit before getting too far ahead of myself. Open to advice since I do not claim to be an expert and there seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there.

Back
Top Bottom