Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Smile Intro - New member from Ontario Canada

Hi there everybody, I installed this app on my phone a long time ago, and read through a bunch of threads but never needed advice with my little tanks until now, which has been great! I love that they've built up their own little ecosystems so well that they haven't needed any intervening so far. I hope I haven't jinxed myself now for putting that in writing. Lol.
Anyways, I couldn't figure out how to edit my profile with details, so I figured I'd better make a proper introduction before start asking questions.
First off I will warn everyone that most of my forum activity is done on my iPhone and its a tiny screen when typing so I don't always double check very word and autocorrect loves to make me sound like a maniac, so bear with me and try to read between the lines if I say something ridiculous. Hahaha

So, my "main" tank is just a little ten gallon, with an AquaClear 20 filter.
It has one apple snail (had 3 originally, 2 died quite a while ago), 8 rock/bamboo shrimp, one glass fish, one black kuhli loach named Slither, 2 gold dojo loaches, named Slippy and Sqiggy, and one mystery fish named Driveway (that we found in a puddle in our driveway one day) I'm not that keen on the glass fish, but i am crazy for these loaches. and my little Driveway. I dig the little shrimp too, with their wavey fan hands. I LOVE this tank. It's prettier when I have plants in it, its just plain right now with its two hunks of driftwood in it. I'm frankly terrified every time I try to add plants that I'm going to wreck its perfect balance and introduce some terrible disease or something.
Our second tank is a 5 gallon hex that presently houses one lone zebra danio that was a hand me down from a friend, he seems aggressive and i imagine bullied to death all the remaining tetras that he came to me with. I am not a fan of danios, particularly this one, but he is very resilient and has held up through a lot of neglect of this tank when it was in my daughters room. He's looking a little weird and lumpy now but still full of energy and always starving, just like always, so I think he's never going to die. Lol.
I've thought about moving my glass fish into the tank with Danio, since Glass bullies Driveway sometimes, and I figured he could do with a little taste of his own medicine.
Third "tank" is a little 2 gallon?? Filtered fish bowl with an led light. It's called a water globe I believe. I have a betta in there named Nada. He hides in the roots of this pond plant I used to have in there, and I almost never see him. I think I've only seen him eat twice in the entire time I have had him. Lol
Those are my tanks.
The reason I finally started posting in this forum?
I have this fungusy stuff growing on one of my driftwood logs, so I wanted advice on what it was and if it was safe to leave in there with my fish or if I should chuck the log.
I imagine that question belongs in a different section, so I'll go try to find an appropriate place to post that question.
Thanks guys, looking forward to having a good place to go with my fishy questions from now on.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

to AA! We hope ya enjoy

Is the stuff on your wood a white cotton looking stuff? If so it will be fine and won't harm a thing. It will eventually go away on its own

Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the family

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, guys.

And the algae stuff is I guess sort of cottony-looking, but its not white. I put a picture of it in another thread last night, if you want to take a look?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmlinals View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys.

And the algae stuff is I guess sort of cottony-looking, but its not white. I put a picture of it in another thread last night, if you want to take a look?
I seen it after I posted here I posted there for you aswell
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

I just caught that after, thanks Andrew.

Tags
canada, intro, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com