New Member seeking knowledge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm Jeremy. I have three aquariums up and running. I just acquired a Bumblebee Cichlid and am always on the lookout for helpful tips to care for my fish properly. I have 3 Clown Loaches, 4 Tiger Barbs, 3 albino Corydora catfish, an albino Bristlenose Plecostamus, an afrikan Bumblbee Cichlid, and an assortment of goldfish, which I started out with. Never thought I would enjoy being an aquarist, but I really love it.

I'm here to seek knowledge from other more seasoned aquarists, because it seems the pet stores are only concerned with selling, and have very little knowledge when it comes to keeping fish.

I look forward to many discussions and making some new friends with this common interest.

Welcome, and you came to a good place. I have been helped out many times because of AA. If you didn't know, it also has an awesome app for smartphones.

Thanks for welcoming me, and I have the app. Actually, that's how I find most of my information. On my iPhone.

I am still a beginner. Started with a 10 gallon gold fish tank that was given to me by a friend. Lost several fish trying in the first couple of months. After learning about cycling, I moved the goldfish to a 20 gallon tank. Brand new tank, fish are doing great. I have one black moor and 5 assorted fan tails.

I also found a rare 40 gallon tank in an online garage sale site. It had cracks in one side. I repaired it with silicone and it has been holding water for 6 months now. I have 3 clown loaches, 5 tiger barbs, 3 albino corydoras, and an albino Bristlenose Pleco in this tank. I'll post pics later on.

I recently acquired a bumblebee cichlid. The previous owner couldn't handle him bullying her other fish. He's full grown and full of attitude. I have him by himself in a 29 gallon tank. I'm wanting to get a larger tank so I can start adding more cichlids. He seems lonely. However, I'm still a novice and cichlids are completely new to me. That's why I'm here. To gain knowledge.

This is my 40 gallon tank. I made the hood myself and an old bathroom cabinet into a stand. Plenty of storage underneath. I added LED lighting which I can change colors by remote. The fish seem to enjoy it.

image-1783210636.jpg

Alright I thought you had put the bumblebee in with they community type fish. Only real problem I see is those clown loaches will reach nearly a foot each.

Yeah I know. They're pretty small now. I plan on getting a 75 to 90 gallon tank in the near future. Those guys are pretty entertaining. I call em the three stooges. They live in the boney rock. Unfortunately they will out grow it soon.

The problem I'm having with the bumblee cichlid, who's is named Delbert, is that he is full grown and I can't seem to find any tank mates that are big enough. I have a lot of questions and I'm hoping to find some answers here.

I read that I should stock the cichlid tank full so that they can't establish territories, and that the rule of one inch of fish per gallon doesn't apply. I'm doing my research first. I'm not gonna just throw any cichlid in with him. It's gonna have to be a gang of them because he's mean.

The problem I'm having with the bumblee cichlid, who's is named Delbert, is that he is full grown and I can't seem to find any tank mates that are big enough. I have a lot of questions and I'm hoping to find some answers here.
Your going to have to find fish somewhere besides the lfs.

I read that I should stock the cichlid tank full so that they can't establish territories, and that the rule of one inch of fish per gallon doesn't apply. I'm doing my research first. I'm not gonna just throw any cichlid in with him. It's gonna have to be a gang of them because he's mean.

Overstocking can work to cut down aggression. But overstocking requires extra filtration. Your also going to need a bigger tank to add more Africans. Most say a 55 gallon is the minimum. Bumblebees can be very aggressive so be prepared for that.

Back
Top Bottom