new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WJGP

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, i am getting a tank, and would be very grateful for any advice on starting a tank and which types of fish would be great for starting!
:confused:
thanks!

You need to let us know if you're talking freshwater or salt. What's your budget?? 55g is what a lot of folks like to start off with since more water volume is more forgiving for newbie mistakes and learning curves.

Welcome to AA by the way! :) :)

You need to let us know if you're talking freshwater or salt. What's your budget?? 55g is what a lot of folks like to start off with since more water volume is more forgiving for newbie mistakes and learning curves.

Welcome to AA by the way! :) :)
hey, freshwater, thank you, um budget lets say over $50

I'm cycling a 20 gal. freshwater the fishless way. It's been up for 4 days and I'm already reading .25 nitrite. It's the best way to go. AA is the best place to find information. Look at Fishless Cycling for Dummies and Tips and Tricks for your Fastest fishless cycle right here at AA. You'll set up the tank, sea scape it so it will be ready when it is done cycling. Good luck. Keep in touch.

o woops, i thought you said under 50 dollars, well than you can do A LOT, i personally did a 20g high tank because i dont want to venture out into bigger tanks until i can get a small tank down and running.

in total my spending was about 100 bucks for the tank + filter + top + heater, and the gravel was free, DW + thermometer + dechlor was about another 34 bucks or so, but it all depends on you really. also you have to account that if you want to have real plants, you need to buy lighting and thats pretty much the most expensive part of your tank if go in that direction ( thats what i have been told )

what austinsdad said was true about 55g being a decent sized tank for newbies. i can tell you from my own experience that, in a 20g things change pretty fast so you need to be on top of it ^_^

when i started the hobby about 4 years ago i had a 10 gallon, when my fish outgrew that i went to a 29, and then for fun i went to a 65. once you get the smaller tank under control and you have got some experience, do your reasearch, and go bigger and enjoy the hobby. tetra are very easy to keep and can be very pretty, they are small enough to be kept in small tanks. trust me i have some that are 4 years old still! also, try some live plants they are nice and your fish will love them. try and go for the broad leaved plants as they dont need as much care. just make sure you have enough light! other then that have fun with the hobby !

while you are doing your research, go look for a good LFS, try to find 3-4 so you can compare the prices and have more choices on what kind of fish you want.

for beginners, tetras, danios are great =] heck even fighting fish ( my favorite fish ) are great for beginners, ive a fighting fish survive in a bowl for over a year and recently lost it, im also starting my first tank and going to be adding another fighting fish w/ either corys or plecos ^_^

also check this out http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html this will benefit your tank greatly

Back
Top Bottom