Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
New to AA just got 60 gallon beauty. Need all the advise i can get.

New to AA just got 60 gallon beauty. Need all the advise i can get.
__________________

__________________
StephanieCaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
CraigRets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada, Ns
Posts: 128
Alrighty kind of brief but Ill try to get you as much information as I can. First Step: Pick out some fish that you like but don't buy them, Do as much research on them as you can such as can they have tank mates, Minimum tank size, food, environment that they live in ect. Step 2: Set up your tank. Pick out substrate ( the bottom layer of your tank, rocks, sand ect) Some fish prefer different substrate but since you researched the fish you will know the best. (some fish don't care, but others need certain size to help keep them healthy....And some fish have better colors in darker substrate. Step3: Pick hardscape ( bigger rocks, logs, any decorations) Once again some fish prefer different things, Shells to hide in, PLants to hide in and just some things to keep the tank interesting for them.
Step 4: Cycle your tank....It get be done a few ways but you should research that because its very important.
Step 5; Add fish
Step 6: Amount of water changes differ depending how many fish you have, if you have plants a good filter ect.


Hope I helped abit, any more questions just ask!

Welcome AA you'll find it helpful and learn alot
__________________

__________________
CraigRets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Welcome to AA! Glad you found us!


I would first cycle your tank before adding any fish. Here is a link to fishless cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-al...ing/Page1.html
Things your definitely gonna need are an API freshwater master test kit, pure ammonia, and quite a bit of patience!

After your tank is cycled properly, you can look into which fish you want. You have to decide if you want a nice community tank or a cichlid tank or what. We have quite a bit of great advice to get you started here!
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquamandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 466
Welcome to the forum. The best advice you'll get on this forum is to be sure your aquarium is fully cycled before adding fish and be consistent on frequent water changes. Also - recommend you buy the API Freshwater test kit if you haven't already. Good luck!
__________________
Aquamandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRets View Post
Alrighty kind of brief but Ill try to get you as much information as I can. First Step: Pick out some fish that you like but don't buy them, Do as much research on them as you can such as can they have tank mates, Minimum tank size, food, environment that they live in ect. Step 2: Set up your tank. Pick out substrate ( the bottom layer of your tank, rocks, sand ect) Some fish prefer different substrate but since you researched the fish you will know the best. (some fish don't care, but others need certain size to help keep them healthy....And some fish have better colors in darker substrate. Step3: Pick hardscape ( bigger rocks, logs, any decorations) Once again some fish prefer different things, Shells to hide in, PLants to hide in and just some things to keep the tank interesting for them.
Step 4: Cycle your tank....It get be done a few ways but you should research that because its very important.
Step 5; Add fish
Step 6: Amount of water changes differ depending how many fish you have, if you have plants a good filter ect.

Hope I helped abit, any more questions just ask!

Welcome AA you'll find it helpful and learn alot
Thnx for your help! Have some issues for lighting, I have about 15 freshwater plants. What's the best lighting for live planted tanks?
__________________
StephanieCaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Welcome to AA! Glad you found us!

I would first cycle your tank before adding any fish. Here is a link to fishless cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-al...ing/Page1.html
Things your definitely gonna need are an API freshwater master test kit, pure ammonia, and quite a bit of patience!

After your tank is cycled properly, you can look into which fish you want. You have to decide if you want a nice community tank or a cichlid tank or what. We have quite a bit of great advice to get you started here!
Thnx! I could use all the help I can get. I'm really enjoying my aquarium. Love my Saturdays test water, water changes and cleaning my tank! My tank is turning out beautiful! It's hard when we go to the fish store not to buy any fish, trying to get my necessities first.
__________________
StephanieCaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieCaskey View Post

Thnx for your help! Have some issues for lighting, I have about 15 freshwater plants. What's the best lighting for live planted tanks?
What plants do you have?
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

What plants do you have?
Not sure of names I know I have some tall grass and some Anubis. Will try to take picture and send it
__________________
StephanieCaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieCaskey View Post

Not sure of names I know I have some tall grass and some Anubis. Will try to take picture and send it
Okay great. The tall grass may be giant hairgrass
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Okay great. The tall grass may be giant hairgrass
Have any clues to a good co2 system. Just looking for what I need next. Thnx for your help!
__________________

__________________
StephanieCaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.