New to aquariums, always liked fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome! It shouldn't take too long to cycle your tank. Soon enough you'll have some fish swimming around in there:). Just listen to the people on here and read the articles that people have posted!

And yeah dude you need to.buy a liquid dechlorinator to treat water before putting it in the tank. Seachem prime is what people on here use because it temporarily makes ammonia and nitrite safe for fish.

You're also gonna need a bucket and a gravel vacuum for water changes. But don't worry. All the work you have to do beforehand is worth it in the end.

iheartmyed9 said:
whats a good brand of dechlronitaor sold in Petco? Also any links or tips in doing PWC?

Look for SeaChem Prime, it's what most member use here.

For PWC...all I can say is that there is no such thing as too big of one.

so do u put the dechlorinator in the tank or in the buckets of water your doing the changing with? My room mate bought 10 goldfish for the tank while i was asleep before i could explain how we have to cycle the tank first. :(

Ten is WAY to much for that tank. Goldfish need 20 gallons for one and ten for each additional. They get big and are messy. Please return them.

I put it in the water before adding it to the tank. When u have fish make sure u match the temp of the new water to the tank water.

yea it wasnt my decision, i was wanting to wait and cycle the tank get some nice different fish, but this is what i got now. how many should be in there? Its a 55 gallon tank, and get some of the cloudiness to go away

Ill do that, but i gotta wait till i get paid to get a master test kit so ill wait and take them back friday, hopefully everything will be Gucci till then.

Ohh crap are they in the tank? I hope you used the dechlorinator. You're gonna have to change the water everyday until then. Or they'll just crap and add ammonia and get poisoned and die. And their dead bodies will leech ammonia. And more will die.
Worst case scenario. If theyre tiny you'll be good. You'll have to do some water changes tho

yea i used the dechlorinator and i just got finished with about a 50% water change. The good news is the water is much clearer but god knows what the ammonia and nitrite levels are at.

My tapwater has .50 ammonia in it.
If you bought the seachem prime dechlorinator (idk if u did or not) then it temporarily detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. So theyd be fine

iheartmyed9 said:
yea i used the dechlorinator and i just got finished with about a 50% water change. The good news is the water is much clearer but god knows what the ammonia and nitrite levels are at.

Good luck, please see if the store will take them back and give you store credit.. Keep doing the water changes. That's the only chance they have right now.

Its Petsmart so i doubt they would take them back, maybe i can find someone to take like 5 off my hands. Ill do another 50% water change tomorrow, i was planning on doing it anyway due to it still being a tad cloudy.

My tapwater has .50 ammonia in it.
If you bought the seachem prime dechlorinator (idk if u did or not) then it temporarily detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. So theyd be fine

Yea i bought the dechlorinator and a lil hand pump. My window is right next to my tank, but i have blinds and curtains there but it makes it easy to drop the window and drain the water out the window.

You bought the brand seachem prime? The red bottle?

And haha cool. Watch out for the windows overheating the tank though

No unfortunately my local Petsmart carried it but it wasnt in stock. I got Aqueon Water Conditioner instead. Im hoping its a good product as well. I keep the blinds closed and my curtains closed, plus i love a/c. Its always cool in my house.

Back
Top Bottom